Author Topic: Archibald Gibson 1794/96 - 1858  (Read 6065 times)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Gibson 1794/96 - 1858
« on: Tuesday 03 April 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me find Archibald Gibson.  The year of birth, and location in Roxburgh, I obtained from various census when he was living in Gateshead 1841 and Newcastle 1851 and also his death in 1858.
I have his marriage to Jane Muras in Gateshead in 1831 but now I am trying to track the Scottish link.  I have quickly found that the records north of the border do not seem as complete as I hoped and so I am looking for any assistance please.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Gibson 1794/96 - 1858
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

What did he name his children as the Scottish naming patterns were widely used and this can give you an indication of his parents.  If he had only died in Scotland you would have his parents from his death certificate...... 

The other possibility is that he was a non conformist and the Scotlandspeople records are mostly Church of Scotland unless the minister was kind enough to list some of his nonconformists in the parish.

let me know and I can try and help.  At least you know  it is Roxburghshire, it could just have been Scotland.

Barbara

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your reply;

His children were John b:1833, Sarah Muras (maiden name of his wife Jane) b:1838 and Robert b:1841.

The name Muras was then used as a middle name for every generation until the present day.

Regards

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

3 children is quite unusual unless his wife died?  Do you have his marriage and where was it?

Can't promise to help but will try!

Barbara

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 April 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

His marriage was in Gateshead 28 May 1831, and yes his wife died in 1848/49.  If it was not for the census giving Archibald's birth place as Roxburgh I would not be even looking north of the border, (mind you family gossip always said the Gibson name came from Scotland but this was the 1st evidence that I have found to support this fact).

Thanks again

Regards

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 April 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
sorry Richard, see now you had it in your first post.  Don't think we have all the children then, the spaces are too large, perhaps some died.

Are you aware that there are a few other Gibsons born in Roxburgh or Roxburghshire of the right age to be Archibald's siblings and living quite near him.

Andrew Gibson born 1786 is in Westgate, with son John born Newcastle and daughter Jane.
Peter Gibson born 1807 is a stone mason in Rothbury born 1807 Roxburgh, Roxburghshire.  In 1841 he is in Jed. Ancestry thinks he went to Oz
Robert Gibson born 1797 Yetholm is in Westgate quite close to Andrew.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that these Gibsons are quite close to each other over the Border as there are not that many Gibsons born around that time in Roxburghshire according to Scotlandspeople.  Though obviously records have not survived as with your Archibald.

Also the 1851 census report for Archibald gives Roxburgh, not Roxburghshire.  The transcriber on Ancestry has taken it as shire but perhaps it was the village Roxburgh he was born in as Peter was.

Can you try to follow some of these people in the census and see if it lead you anywhere and perhaps find connections to see if they have info you don't have.  For instance if Peter did go to Australia they often gave their parents on their death records over there.

I have looked on Scotlandspeople and can see likely candidates for Andrew but no Robert in Yetholm nor your Archibald.
regards

Barbara

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Completed
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 April 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Thank you very much.  I will be checking these names every way that I can.  If Peter went to OZ I have a contact there who, if necessary. can check for me as well. "Jed" is Jedburgh I take it?

I will send you a PM if this all comes together.

Thank you very much for your help with Archibald's "clan" :)

Regards

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

After extensive searches I still am not able to locate Archibald's birth, or the names of his parents/siblings.  Apart from the UK census giving his place of birth as Roxburgh 1796 'ish, there are no other references to be found north of the border.
Can anyone give any advice as to where I can look next (tried familysearch/rootsweb/Ancestry)

Thanks

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
The other possibility is that he was a non conformist and the Scotlandspeople records are mostly Church of Scotland unless the minister was kind enough to list some of his nonconformists in the parish.

The term 'non-conformist' specifically means not part of the Church of England, and it has no relevance or meaning in relation to church denominations in Scotland. There were, and are, a bewildering number of dissenting or secession denominations in Scotland, besides Roman Catholics and Episcopalians.

It wasn't a case of the minister being 'kind enough' to record events affecting people in his parish but not of his congregation. The Church of Scotland was supposed, by an act of the Scottish parliament in about 15-something-or-other, to keep a record of all baptisms and marriages, regardless of which denomination the people involved belonged to. In practice, for reasons I won't go into because it would take far too long, this mostly didn't happen, though some parish clerks (it was they, not the ministers, who were responsible for keepng the parish records) were more diligent at recording than others.

Most of the surviving Scottish records of births/baptisms, banns/marriages and deaths/burials in Scotland before the start of civil registration in 1855 are available on the Scotland's People web site. The notable exception is the Episcopalian records, which have not been brought together in a single repository and are not easy to find. However the surviving records of the Church of Scotland and the Roman Catholic Church, plus the majority of the Secession and Free Churches' records, are all available.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.