Author Topic: George Alfred Fishwick Search  (Read 2065 times)

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Alfred Fishwick Search
« on: Wednesday 04 April 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on George Aldred Fishwick born circa 1833 in Chichester, Sussex.

In the 1841 he was in the Chichester Workhouse but it appears he had not other family.  When he was apprenticed out in 1846 to William Thomas Wheatcroft  he was still in Chichester and when he joined the Merchant Navy he gives his birth place as Chicester.

I know there are several parishes in Chichester but if anyone know of any Fishwick's from this area I would appreciate any information that you can provide.

George ended up on Western Australia with the family oral history saying that he jumped ship.  He may have had a brother who emigrated to America but there is no information to confirm this other then legends passed down over the generations.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: George Alfred Fishwick Search
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Welcome to Rootschat.  Couldnt find alot of information for you but think this
is your George Alfred.

George Alfred Fishwick christened 30th June 1837 but born 2nd June 1832.
Christened at  St Saviour, Southwark.   Parents William and Elizabeth living
at Queen Street, occupation a Waterman.

I will have to look around more to find any siblings or why he was in the workhouse.
There was information about his marriage in Australia and his death there, but I
dont have a subscription for the World part so maybe someone else might help
with that information if you havent already got that?

regards Sandymc

p.s. Just found him marrying Catherine McCarthy in Freemantle  15th October 1855.
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thank you for taking the time to look this up for me.  Several people believe this George Alfred is ours however in his apprenticeship to a shoe maker and joining the merchant marines he states he was born/from Chichester, Sussex.

I came across some death records in the St Peter the Great, Chichester refering to several Fishwicks who died in the poor house.

Elizabeth Fishwick d. 22 May 1832, 8 months
Henry Fishwick d. 1 July 1832, 4 years
Mary Fishwick d. 9 Nov 1834, 29 years
Hannah Fishwick d. 12 Dec 1836, 32 years (possibly Henry's second wife after Mary died)
Henry Fishwick d. 30 Jul 1840, 46 years

It appears Henry, Mary & Child entered the poor house in 30 Nov 1826 after receiving a removal order from the parish of Broadwater, Sussex.

However the annoying thing is that on George Alred Fishwick's marriage certificate he gives his father as william which matches your record however there are Fishwicks in the same poor house as George Fishwick from the 1841 census.

Regards
Vicki

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Apologies if you already have
From SMI,
Marriage 4 th April 1825 Brighton
Henry Fishwick and Mary Gates

Marriage 1 st May 1836 Chichester all Saints
Henry Fishwick and Hannah Smith

There are two entries for merchant seamen records(no other info than names etc)
Geo Fishwick  b. Chichester ,Sussex  373183  (no age)
George Fishwick b 1834 Brighton   American Ship ( asmall bit of info, hard to read but includes Oporto 29.10.56)
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 12 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

I knew about Henry's first marriage but I did not know about his second.  Thanks for this information.

We are travelling to the UK for a wedding in late May so I am hopeing to get to look up the full merchant marine service records for both George's.  It would be interesting to know if the family legend is true that he jumped ship in Western Australia.

George should also be in the series that lists all the ships they were on so I will see if any of them docked in WA.

Regards
Vicki

Offline Inekes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 July 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Interesting to find out more about G.A. Fishwick (my g.g.grandad!). Now I know where he was from. If anyone is after local information in regards to Perth then please do get in touch.  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
This Marriage is on FreeREG;
Marriage 1 st May 1836 Chichester all Saints
Henry Fishwick and Hannah Smith
Both are Widowed**
Witnesses, Reuben Smith and Samuel Stamp

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)