Author Topic: Wilsons in Ballyronan area  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilsons in Ballyronan area
« on: Wednesday 04 April 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find information about William Wilson and his wife Margaret, maiden name not known. If they have any siblings or who their parents were, or by any chance were they are buried at? They belonged to church of ireland, Desertlyn Moneymore.

Also I have found that they had 7 children: Martha (died in 1947), Margaret - no info except for 1901+1911 census'. William (married Maragret Bradley from Desertmartin and is buried in Moneymore), Mary (also buried in Moneymore), Sarah (married Jim Watterson, in the Woods/Lisnamorrow area), Emma (moved to Canada) and Catherine (married William Glendinning and is buried in Woods church graveyard, died in 1936)

I have found both Margaret and William in the 1901 and 1911 census, in the Ballyronan/Salterstown area, but out of their 7 children I could only find 6, I can not find Mary and I know she was living back then...

I have edited this as I have found further information involving the Wilson family, and I hope it may give anyone an insight which may help me further. Thank you, very grateful for any replies

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsons in Ballyronan area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 15:29 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Only marriage which I can find which fits the location and timescale is that of William Wilson to Margaret Wilson (maiden name) in Desertlyn Church of Ireland on 5 Jun 1883.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
Wonder if census information is correct. In 1901 William and Margaret have 5 children at home aged 2-11 (born c1899-1890), Margaret aged 32 so 22 when eldest of them born. If 1911 is correct she'd have been married 18 years in 1901 and only age 14. Also, where are the other supposed children?

In 1911 census the same 5 children are listed and number of children born/living hasn't been filled in but am wondering if there are any other surviving children to this couple.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Only marriage which I can find which fits the location and timescale is that of William Wilson to Margaret Wilson (maiden name) in Desertlyn Church of Ireland on 5 Jun 1883.

Regards

Yes I think this is the Wilsons I was talking about, as recently a living relative told me she can remember something about Desertlyn. Thanks!! Also William and Margaret are most  likelly to have been buried their.

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
Wonder if census information is correct. In 1901 William and Margaret have 5 children at home aged 2-11 (born c1899-1890), Margaret aged 32 so 22 when eldest of them born. If 1911 is correct she'd have been married 18 years in 1901 and only age 14. Also, where are the other supposed children?

In 1911 census the same 5 children are listed and number of children born/living hasn't been filled in but am wondering if there are any other surviving children to this couple.

Married at 14? Yes these ages written for the census seem to be wrong... I have noticed in the 1901 census William stated his birth place was England but in 1911 he says he was born in Londonderry. Their daughter - Mary who is not listed on both census, was pregnant (at a young age) during the 1911 census also there other daughter Sarah was maybe born after 1911 or lived somewhere else with Mary?

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 02:13 BST (UK) »

I did find their other Daughter Sarah in the 1901 census as a servant in Magherafelt and then in 1911 she is living with her husband and her own daughter in the Lisnamorrow area

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 05:42 BST (UK) »

5th June 1883, Desertlyn Church of Ireland:

WILLIAM WILSON, bachelor, blacksmith, from Drumard, Lissan, father Robert Wilson, labourer

...married:

MARGARET WILSON, spinster, from Ballymully, father John Wilson, labourer.

Witnesses were William Johnston and Sarah J. Todd.

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 July 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you ;D