Author Topic: Alenbury? Ireland  (Read 1175 times)

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alenbury? Ireland
« on: Thursday 05 April 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
 ???

Can anyone tell me whereabouts in Ireland is a place that appears to be spelt Alenbury in the 1911 English census.

My 2 x great grandfather Thomas Brynes [often spelt Brine - Brien - O'Brien etc in the English censuses] was in the workhouse in Fulwood Preston Lancashire in 1911 aged 78 years a widowed brickmaker, and gives this name as the place he was born in Ireland.
Thanks to any kind person who can help.
paslwigr

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Alenbury? Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
Alenbury doesn't ring any bells... maybe post an image of just the place of birth section of that return, to see if anyone can offer an alternative interpretation..

Do you have Thomas on any earlier census returns - with an Irish county mentioned ?

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Closest which I can find is ATHENBOY in the Parish of Street, Granard District, Co. Westmeath.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 12 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shanew147 for your reply, Thomas Brynes was found in censuses 1871 - 1901 place of birth Ireland - so no help there. The writing in the 1911 census is quite clear, but as he was in the workhouse he wouldn't have completed the form. Sometime before the census he must have been asked where he was born, he may have still had a strong Irish accent and perhaps no teeth!! So goodness knows what it sounded like to the workhouse master or whoever completed the schedule. I suppose it could have begun with an 'H'. I'll just have to keep trying to say it and writing down the sounds.
Thanks also to kingskerswell you could be right.
paslwigr

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
 :-[

After having viewed the 1911 census for Thomas Bryne's entry, I think I was wrong about the name 'Alenbury' being clear it is more likely 'Adenbury'. I don't suppose it helps much but if anyone could check it out I would be grateful.
Thanks paslwigr

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
sorry look-ups of the English 1911 census are not allowed, but as I mentioned earlier, you can post a small section of the image..

the 'bury' ending sounds more English to me. Maybe whoever filled in the form misunderstood what Thomas said and presumed he was referring to some location nearby ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests