Author Topic: Germany: Richard Austin Crompton Roberts Death  (Read 4660 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Germany: Richard Austin Crompton Roberts Death
« on: Thursday 05 April 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
My relative Richard Austin Crompton Roberts was born in Liverpool in 1909,the son of a Richard Price Roberts and a Mary Hughes.He was apparently a Sculptor in Metal of some repute responsible for the ornate metalwork showing at the entrance to the Liver Building at Liverpool.

I am told that he died in Germany but uncertain of his death year.Can anyone help please?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Richard Austin Crompton Roberts Death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
Possibly he dropped the "Richard":
http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/person.php?id=msib6_1225810759

Can you narrow down the death year at all (e.g. was this more likely to be 1950s, 1980s...) There are overseas indexes for deaths which he may appear on.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the excellent links.It appears he didn't use the Richard.I'm really uncertain when he died,although I've known about his link to my family vaguely for about four years now,it was only this morning I got definite proof.The address in London would be consistent with his parent's having moved their sometime at least before their death in 1963.

Austin's brother Hubert Paul Roberts born in 1915 may also have been  a Sculptor.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 April 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
It appears my Richard Austin Crompton Roberts was quite a character!He first married a French lady c 1940 and after her death married for a second time at the age of 85 in 1994 in Germany.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Philcr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 March 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Indeed thats my grand father . He remarried Gertrud who passed away a couple of years ago .He was indeed very colorful !!

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 March 14 00:11 GMT (UK) »
A very warm welcome to,as Austin himself used to say when he visited one of our relatives in Liverpool;my dear cousin!

He may have been quite a character,indeed very colourful,but we can rest assured that we come from excellent stock!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 March 14 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I will shortly be visiting Liverpool to view his work at the entrance to the Liver Building.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Daid Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi! We met Mr Crompton-Roberts in July 1982 in Calstock, Cornwall. He and his German wife (or partner) had a boat on the river Tamar.  My wife who met them in the village
spoke to them thinking they were French as their car was registered in France.  When they came for a drink at our house, Mr Crompton-Roberts drew two pictures of our baby son.  He left his name on a piece of paper which we kept with the drawings.  His address was: c/o Engewke, Fabricius Straße 314, 2000 HAMBURG 71.   The phone number he scribbled was: 641 9989

He told us he did the sculptures on the Queen Mary boat.

We hope this will help you with your research.

Regards

David and Danielle Robinson