Author Topic: Link: Registry of Deeds, Dublin  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
Link: Registry of Deeds, Dublin
« on: Friday 06 April 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I couldn't find an existing heading for either the Registry or the Deeds, though there must be posts about both somewhere as the Registry is such an enormous (though well hidden) goldmine for 18th and 19th century Irish family research, especially if your ancestors owned or leased land.
Anyway, I'm indexing some deeds to do with my ancestors for the Registry of Deeds Index Project:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~registryofdeeds/
but even after transcribing a few of them completely to remove the spidery writing factor, and grateful as I am for the relationships between family members so beautifully spelled out in the preamble, I usually can't work out exactly what the deed is actually saying  :-[ I wondered if experienced deed readers here might have some advice - preferably other than hiring a Lawyer!
Cheers

James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Registry of Deeds, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 June 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcella,

I congratulate you, the other volunteers and of course Nick Reddan for undertaking this mammoth task.  A number of years ago, Nick advised me to go the the Registry of Deeds if I ever had the chance.  I spent 3 "happy" days rummaging around in the Index books at the Registry of Deeds in Henrietta Street, Dublin. The first day I spent indexing my own family name. The 2 and 3rd days were spent trying  :o to read and transcribe the most important ones I found.

Of course, I have wanted to go back ever since but as there were over 300 entries as Grantor alone for my family name, I don't think I will ever have time to see them all.  Thanks to Nick's project I have found some more relating to my family where they are grantees.  The Deeds have certainly confirmed family relationships and much more.

Thank you again
Jenny Creed
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Registry of Deeds, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
Indeed a great place.. as for translating, I remember reading an old document for one of mine there and it said if someone died with no ears their property was to go to siblings... and if they died with no ears the property was to go to....

I actually had to leave the building as I could stop laughing when I realized they meant no heirs!

Yes some do take a lot of reading to try to figure out who got what etc, but what a fabulous resource!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.