Author Topic: jacob myers  (Read 5841 times)

Offline Jools

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: jacob myers
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 September 21 01:25 BST (UK) »
Two of Jacob's sons Alexander & Abraham were Aerated Waters and Cordial
Manufacturers, (several Trove advertisements) in Queanbeyan and Cooma.

Abraham moved to Western Australia taking two of Jacob's sons with him, where they established another Cordial Manufacturing business. 

FOOD MANUFACTURERS BROLGA BRAND PICKLES E & J MYERS PERTH
https://findersofrelicswa.com/food-manufacturers-brolga-brand-pickles-e-j-myers-perth/

Abraham appears to have had no children of his own, and Alexander died suddenly.
MYERS  ALEXANDER 11747/1882 JACOB ANN QUEANBEYAN
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/deaths?10

The Yass Courier (NSW : 1857 - 1929)  Tue 28 Feb 1882
describes Alexander as a native of Yass.

An early responder to this post, claiming descent of Jacob, suggested pre 1925 English records needed to be referred to parish. Hopefully she is now aware that from the September quarter of 1837 is when civil registration was introduced but it was not fully mandatory for some time, and parish records are not ever (or only rarely) going to be a source for Jewish/Judaism/Hebrew records. 

Australian Jews married out of the faith/race moreso, due to lack of available people *of* the faith /race, but Jews living in England (mostly in London, and usually emigrants from Europe) rarely did.  Even during civil registration mandatory times, many failed to register their children's births. 

Like *all* family history, understanding the places and times becomes imperative. DNA testing opens doors previously closed.

Anyhoo... I'm in the middle of a project in regards to a one-name study on Abraham MYERS of Australia.  There's a lot of them about.  I've only just started working on this particular link, but wondering if anyone has actually pursued the death registration of Jacob, and/or what DNA results may have come about by descendants (of any MYERS in Australia). 

Or just looking for updates, and adding my twopence worth. 

Jools
New Zealand