Author Topic: Chestney  (Read 1803 times)

Offline awayagain4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chestney
« on: Saturday 07 April 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am searching for the birth of my 2nd great grandfather, John Chestney (Chasney).

He married Mary Ann Olley in Barney, Norfolk, 2 Jan 1831 at the church of St Mary.

Mary Ann was born in 1805 in Barney so John would probably have been born around the same time.

The couple moved to Sheringham, Norfolk and their first child, Margaret Olley Chestney, was born in Sheringham 16 Jun 1831. Their last child, Thomas Chestney was born in 1840 in Sheringham.

I can't trace John Chestney on any census records. I know he was a cordwainer and a shoemaker by occupation.

John's name does appear on his son's, Thomas Chestney, marriage certificate and it does not say he is deceased so presumably he was still alive on 29 Jan 1872. This marriage took place at St Stephen's, Durham.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you for your time.

Maureen

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chestney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
John is not with the family in 1841, and Mary is a Widow in the 1851 census - so it looks he has died before 1851.

The fact that the word 'deceased' doesn't appear on the son's marriage certificate isn't a guide to the fact that John was still alive at the time of the marriage, unfortunately. it could simply mean that the question 'is your father still alive' wasn't asked, or that the question wasn't asked at all, and the information wasn't offered by son Thomas.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could this be your John. Whighton is 5 miles NNW of Barney.

name: John Chasney
baptism/christening date: 25 Aug 1805
baptism/christening place: Wighton, Norfolk, England
father's name: James Chasney
mother's name: Elizabeth Chasney

Offline awayagain4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for your help. This could be the correct John Chestney, (Chasney),. The date fits but it's difficult to be sure. Witnesses at his wedding are no help. He was of the parish of Barney but of course he could have moved there from Wighton.

I'll go with that for the time being but make a note that the record has not been verified.

Regards
Maureen

Offline Seeker55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
If the marriage was in Barney,  this may just indicate that Mary Ann was born Barney (weddings being conventionally in the bride's parish) If the children were born in Sheringham, this might mean that John came from there, maybe temporarily living in Barney at the time of the marriage.  In this case, a candidate is John Chastney christened 24 Jan 1808 in All Saints church Sheringham.

Offline yannickrio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Also searching for Family Chasney of Norfolk. Jane Lewis and Elizabeth Gertrude were born in 1890 and 1887 of Benatton Chasnet and Sarah Hall. They emigrated to New York in the twenties. Jane maried a French man, François Marie RIO (1883 1949). Elizabeth was eventually not married and died in NY in february,1965. She is buried in Queens Cemetery. Jane died in Cheshire 1980.

Best regards