Author Topic: Davies of llywell  (Read 27231 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of llywell
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 April 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Glad you've managed to find the properties!  Llywel/Trecastle is a really interesting area with loads of history:  the Romans were there and it was from Trecastle that the route over Mynydd Bach Trecastell goes up the 'rhiw' onto the top.  This was used by the Romans extensively (there are the remains of two hill forts up there) and later by the Normans who built a motte and bailey in Trecastle and another smaller one on Mynydd Bach.

I was told that at one time the church and Llywel and the village of Trecastle were separated by a lake; nowadays the area is just marshland.  In those days the families of the local gentry would often be rowed across the lake to the church at Llywel on Sundays.  Makes for quite an idyllic picture, doesn't it.  There is also an interesting 'coffin road' which runs down the slopes of Mynydd Bach to the church at Llywel, and this was used to carry the coffins down from the upper farms to the funerals.  It is incredibly steep so must have been a difficult task.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garfydd

• I am sorry but my email address has been disabled
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 April 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
annwyl rumneywoodchippy,
Thank you for the details from certificates(£10!!).
Canol(middle)y(the)maes(meadow), often referred to as Canolmaes. From the data you sent I checked my reconstructions=
William Davies bo. 18 Oct. 1858. chr. Dec.11, 1858, Llywel P.Ch.
s/o Rees Davies(1837-1895)=Ann Price(1830-1903)
s/o William Davies(1810-77)=Ann Evans 1834
s/o Rees Davies=Margaret Price 1803
This is my model very much summarised
Garfydd

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 14:35 BST (UK) »
rumneywoodchippy
I have reconstructed your Davies, Llywel, family using the census returns & the Llywel P.Ch chr. events.  Do we have a problem? The wife gives her birthplace as Onllwyn. Their eldest son William J. aged 14 in the 1891 would have been born ca. 1877. You have a marriage date of 1879? Did you get a birthcertificate for any of the kid? Susannah would be a good one. The dta gives me a niggly feeling.
Garfydd

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 May 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
hi garfydd hope your well
    yes just checkd my ancestry site and i came up with the same line as you, i hadn,t come up with a date for rees and marg,t price, did you find her in the parish rcds, you put her christning at 1803,,

at the moment i only have  the birth cert for my grandmother florence grace 1902
but i agree the birth cert for susannah would be a good one, i am in contact with the grandson of susannah priscilla, the only other relative of the family,, i will contact him and see if he has a cert for her and what the father /mother names  are,, if not will send for one,,

i am on holiday next week in prestatyn but i am taking the long journey via brecon,  llywell,  and onllwyn, have been to these all before nice places,, onllwyn a bit bleak , mineing village,,  roman rd with the onllwyn houses,,

will post again soon when i can confirm a little more info on the births of william,s children,,
    it seems strange to me still how williams wife is known as ann in the early days and elizabeth ann in the latter days, will continue with the searching
         best regards for now rumneywoodchippy

Offline rumneywoodchippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 June 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
hi garfydd  hope you are well
   had a fine holiday in wales, had a visit to the regoffice and sorted a few baptisms,,  and sent of for a few birth certs,

working from the 1891 census, we have

elizabeth a   davies       31       born onllwyn     now at brecon
mary L                            9       
walter r                          7     
david j                            3
ivor h                              10 months
elizabeth g                      10 months

the parish records lists
  mary louisa  daughter of william and ann of trecastle  and he,s a tailor
may 19th1882
  walter rees  son of william and ann of trecastle   and he,s a tailor
july 4th 1884
  David james son of william and ann of canolmaes  and hes a tailor

the twins are not on the llywell parish record, or i didnt get time to look at 1881 baptism but elizabeth is now living in brecon so might have baptized childrn in a brecon church?

so i sent of for the birth cert fo mary Louisa, walter rees  and the two twins
remenber we are looking for the difference in the name from ann to elizabeth anne,,   this is the return

mary louisa was born 22nd march 1882  at trecastle to william davies and
anne davies nee davies     father is tailor
  walter rees was born 3rd march 1884  at trecastle to william davies and
anne davies nee  davies   father is a tailor
 Ivor edgar born 25th june1890 to william davies and elizabeth ann davies nee davies at the street brecknock    father is a tailor
 elizabeth gwendoline born 25th june 1890 to william davies and elizabeth anne davies nee davies  father is a tailor

it would seem that after leaving trecastle elizabeth starting using her first name on documents and papers,
                 this could conclude that the ann davies written about in roots and branches  t, evan could indeed be the one and same,
                 also there is no william davies, head, on the census, and there is a william davies visiting his father at canolymaes with a mary ann rewbridge
the head of the house is rees and ann  with william born about 1859 and is a tailor and mary ann rewbridge is a grand daughter

well what are you thoughts on it garfydd, still might need a couple of more baptism and birth certs?
               best regards brian

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
Annwyl Rhymneywoodchippy,
I enjoyed your recent mail. Made, as usual, notes. Street Btrecon is probably The Struet-my Aunt Gwen & Uncle Frank lived there in the 1950s. You have enough info to get the marr. cert. for Wm.Davies(s/o Rees both weavers) to an Elizabeth Ann Davies(to get her father's name) But were they marr. near Llywel or Onllwyn, you might to try both but you do have 3 names which would be on the correct cert.? Seventeen children born alive!!! I wil give the burial registers a whirl.
Garfydd.

Offline Garethwj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
On my grandmothers birth certificate, it states that she was born at Canolymaes, Traianmawr, in 1901.  Is Canolymaes a farm and if so, who owned it at the time?  Her father was Lewis Price, an agricultural labourer, who may well have lived on the farm.

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
as far as I can recall Canolymaes is a house in the village, will get back to you.
Canol(middle)y(the)maes(meadow)
Garfydd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
On my grandmothers birth certificate, it states that she was born at Canolymaes, Traianmawr, in 1901.  Is Canolymaes a farm and if so, who owned it at the time?  Her father was Lewis Price, an agricultural labourer, who may well have lived on the farm.

See

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,608960.0.html

:)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***