Author Topic: Davies of llywell  (Read 27098 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of llywell
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 30 May 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol - I have emailed you the papers relating to my research on the Candrick/Kendrick family.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathpj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 15 August 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Garfydd
I have only just come about this site.  My grandmother was Mary Ellen Price who married Thomas Morgan and then David Pearce,  buried at Callwen Church. My Mum is Mary Ellens youngest daughter. Sadly, I can't trace the family history back before Mary Ellen and Thomas / David.   Which bit of the family are you from and have you traced back any further ? Would love to hear if so.
thanks
Catherine

Offline cathpj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 August 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Again replying to Garfydd, it was my grand mothers grave that was defaced, is that the Mary Ellen yu mean and I guess she was from the Shute Lewis strain then ?
Late to this whole family tree thing, trying to pick up !
best
catherine

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

Welcome to RootsChat. I am sorry but Garfydd email notifications were not working and had bounced back to us, I have changed the email address so hope that this reply finds Garfydd well.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carandalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,

It's that old Ecclesiastical/ civil parish thing again!  Would Llywel come under Defynnog civil parish?  In the FindMyPast baptismal parish records, how does one know if a marriage occurred in Llywel church or Llanspyddid church in 1821, given that they are in the same parish?  I have a family member married in Llywel parish but census give birth as 1774/1776 Defynnog.

Thanks for your help, once again!

Carol

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 22 May 21 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just to say, I have Davies's from llywel and Trecastle
It has been a long road finding all the info 21 years.

Mine are :

William Davies b 1793 outside Brecon accoring to 1841 census, Married to:
Ann Davies b 1798 Llywel. on 11 Dec 1821 Llywel

Children:

Elizabeth b 1821 Trecastle
Ann Davies b 1826 cannot find her after 1841
David Davies b 1832 Trecastle
Thomas b 1834 Trecastle
Mary Davies 22 Feb 1837

William d 17 Jan 1848 he was a weaver:
DEATH: On 17 Jan 1848 at Bishop Town Hamlet of Trianglaes: William age 55yrs a Weaver,died of Inflamation of the Heart with Pleurisy 5 Days certified.
He was living at Tre Esgob Bishops Town Brecon
Margaret Davies was the informant and present at the death,
She was living at Bishop's Town Also.
buried Jan 20th 1848
Abode was Tre-Escob

I do not know who Margaret Davies is.

Mary died 9 Feb 1848 and was buried in Llywel Parish Church

Both William and Mary were buried in The Parish of Llywel

in 1851 Census all the family had moved to Killybebill, Pontardawe Glamorgan except for Ann the child I cannot locate her

The family continued to live in Alltwen Glais Clydach in Glamorgan

I have been unable to find William birth record or where he was born as 1841 census just said born in or out of parish

And have been unable to find Ann senior parents either

Julie

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
The problem with Trecastle is that the majority of families are Davieses.  For this reason the people who live there don't use surnames but are called by the name of their house or farm.  For example when I lived there I lived in Bear House so my family were known as The Bears. My friend who lived nearest to the public loos in the village had the misfortune to be given the surname Toilet Cottage. I love the humour - one guy was known as Dai Bungalow because it was said he had nothing upstairs. ;D
Tre Esgob is the Welsh version of Bishops Town so they are both the same place.  Tre Esgob is part of Trecastle, being the land on the western side of the Login Brook, which at one time was owned by the Bishop of St Davids.   The parish church, St David's, in at the hamlet of Llywel, about two miles west of Trecastle and separate from it.  My mother is buried there.
One other point is that 'Killybebill' is actually Cilybebyll which might help you to find it when searching.

I'll look out my book with notes relating to the Trecastle families and if I can find anything which might be useful for you, I'll let you know.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 27 May 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Greensleeves.
That would be great any information,

I did wonder if there is a graveyard, I know there is a big Church but dont think they would have been buried there, and dont know of another grave yard

Julie

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 30 May 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
The graveyard at St David's Church, Llywel is large and most people from Llywel and Trecastle and the outlying farms have been buried there for centuries. There is an ancient 'wake way' or 'coffin road' which comes down from the mountain opposite the church, where coffins of the deceased from outlying farms were carried down for burial in the churchyard.

There is another smaller church at Traenglas which I believe also has burials, and another at Cray.  There are also the chapels, too, where your ancestors could have been buried if they went to chapel. The Traenglas church is interesting because, according to local information, there was a falling-out between the local gentry and the vicar of Llywel, so the gentry removed their support from St David's, and went and built their own church at Traenglas!

Regards
GS