Author Topic: Henry Lamb Killarney 1851 Sandusky to NY  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Drtate77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Lamb Killarney 1851 Sandusky to NY
« on: Sunday 08 April 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Henry Lamb, age 28 on Aug 5, 1851, when he entered Port of New York on the ship Sandusky.  With him was 22 year old Mary Guiness, also from Killarney.  Looking for any reference to his existence in Ireland.  The trail seems to go cold at his arrival in New York.  He and Mary married, had a son, Peter, in New York and in 1854 moved to Chicago.  They had 6 more children there.  Henry was my great-great grandfather.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Lamb Killarney 1851 Sandusky to NY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
were there details of Henry or Mary's parents on any of their records - e.g. marriage, death cert etc ?

Lamb is quite a rare surname, but there are a few listed in Killarney on www.irishgenealogy.ie

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Drtate77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Lamb Killarney 1851 Sandusky to NY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Shane thank you for the reply.  It just helps to know that Lamb was not a common surname.  I find more of them in England than Ireland.  Henry and Mary moved to Chicago around 1854 from NYC where they arrived Aug 5, 1851 on the Sandusky.  So far I have not been able to find any records in NYC of their marriage or of the birth of their son Peter.  I have a death date in Chicago, but Vital Records does not have a copy of the death certificate.  I will check out the links you suggested.