Author Topic: work house look up staffordshire 1890  (Read 6909 times)

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
work house look up staffordshire 1890
« on: Saturday 26 June 04 12:57 BST (UK) »
 i dont know much about  if people have workhouse records , only what i have read on this site,but if by any faint chance any one has any records of the union workhouse chell staffordshire 1890, i would please request a look up, as i wish to know if my ancester peter mulroy, who died there in 1890, had his wife in there also. fingers crossed ,nora T
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re:work house look up staffordshire 1890
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 June 04 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Nora,
I have had a look at this site and Chell is under the name of Wolstanton & Burslem. Any records are kept at the Stoke on Trent city archives, a link is given. Hope this may help.
Good Luck, Frances

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.htm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:work house look up staffordshire 1890
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 June 04 20:14 BST (UK) »
thanks Francis. that is a very good site, and as i live in that area , i will get in touch with stafford shire or stoke archives and see what they have.i have already been in touch with staffs archives, about parish registers for a marriage entry for 1784, am awaiting results.thanks again for your interest and help. nora T
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline Corinne M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: work house look up staffordshire 1890
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 04 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Nora, if you are looking at the workhouse records yourself could you by any chance keep an eye out for any references to my relatives who were there close to when yours were?  They are Margaret Ford, who was in the workhouse in 1891 and 1901, her son Patrick, who was there in 1891 and died, presumably there, in 1893, and her daughter Bridget, who was there in 1891 with her mother but got out when she got old enough to work?  I am not sure why Margaret's extended family (her maiden name was Morris) didn't feel able to help support them, not that any of them were rich, when Margaret's husband died.  Her dad Joseph Morris died there too in 1895, but I think it may have been because he had dementia and the family couldn't cope.  Good luck finding your relatives, anyhow, whether or not you have time to check for mine.

Corinne Morris

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 November 04 12:48 GMT (UK) »
hello  corinne, i am afraid, i have been side tracked, looking for my, timmis family, so have not, been in touch with staffs archives yet about the workhouse, where  my peter mullery {mulroy} died in 1890,  he died to early to be on the census, i only found out through his death cert,   it is strange you are looking for  fords in staffs, as my brother in law harry ford, has just started getting interested, in finding out about his family, as his father, another harry ford died, when harry jr, was only  a very small child, about 1942, his mother remarried, and had other children, and his grandfather was named joseph ford, and i think he said they came from hanley  staffs,he said they were very poor,  i just wondered if they had any connection to your fords,  but it is quite a common name, so may be not, regards nora.

Offline Corinne M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 04 20:45 GMT (UK) »
It is quite a common name, but what I didn't mention is that Margaret Ford had two other children, Mary E Ford and Joseph Ford, who were old enough to miss going into the workhouse by being employed.  Joseph was born about 1875 in Tunstall from the census - registration looks like Sept quarter 1874 from freeBMD - so it is quite possible from the dates that he could have been your brother-in-law's grandfather, if I've understood correctly.  The last I know of my Joseph Ford is the 1901 census when he was single and a boarder at 20 Hall St, Tunstall, so no Hanley connection unless he moved there later.  But Joseph is quite a common name too of course.  He was a coal miner. 

Corinne

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 November 04 12:54 GMT (UK) »
hello corinne, thanks for the reply, i think your joseph ford could possibly  be my brother in laws great granfather,  but it could be his granfather?  he gave me very little to go on,as he does not even know for certain when his dad died, only that he was a baby,at the time, and he remembers his grandads name was joseph, his father must have died in the early 1940s .and they came from hanley, i have looked on staffs bmd , but did not find much at all,and until harry can come up with a bit more info, i can go no further for him as i have my own family, to search for,  so thanks again for your reply. regards nora T