Author Topic: Border changes?  (Read 6585 times)

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Border changes?
« on: Monday 09 April 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Thomas O'Rourke, declares on the 1911 Census that he was born in Tipperary (1874). I've searched for his birth record so far in vain, the only T. O'Rourkes  I can find are in Limerick. It crossed my mind that perhaps there were boundary changes that may have taken place after his birth, so that what was once part of Tipp was adopted into Limerick? If this sounds daft, just put it down to brain strain! Any ideas gratefully received.
Corrigan (Dublin); Terry; Rourke; O'Rourke;Dalton;Ellison;
Nevin; Quin;Long (Cork and USA); Supple ... more to follow no doubt!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Border changes?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
There were some county boundary changes around the end of the 1890s, but dont remember there being any mentioned for  Limerick / Tipperary.

When searching for a surname like O'Rourke you need to also check without the prefix - i.e. Rourke.

Do you have a marriage cert for Thomas ?
Should show father's name and occupation which could help confirming any possible matches...

It's possible that the birth for  Thomas was not registered - this sometimes happened and was more common in the earlier years of civil records.

One other point to bear in mind is that some parts of registration districts cover more than one county - e.g. Tipperary district , based in Tipperary town also covered over 150 townlands in Co. Limerick. 

What does the 1901 census have as his place of birth ?

p.s. there are several Thomas Rourke births listed in Parsonstown distrct (Birr), which covered parts of Tipperary as well as King's County (Offaly)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 12:36 BST (UK) »
Shane, thanks for your reply. I've seen the Birr O'Rourke entries and think I may have to investigate further. All I have for my grandfather at present is that in 1911 Census he was living in Galway (Errislannan) with his new wife, two sons (10 and 5) from his prevous marriage and a new baby. His profession is mechanical engineer. He states he was born in Tipperary.
From the age he gives at Census I deduced his birth year would be c.1874. I cannot find him for 1901 (no matches) and I don't have a clue what his first wife was called and can only guess when they were married. I had thought her name was Corrigan but that now appears to have been incorrect. Mary Corrigan did marry a JOHN O'Rourke and had a son called James in 1904 but my father (James) wasn't born until 1906. His age is put at 5 on the Census 1911. The family practice of naming children after relatives makes for a very difficult time for the family historian!  I believe my grandfather, because of his profession, may have travelled between Ireland and England frequently. He states on the Census return that both his older sons were born in England and I have a notion this was in West Derby Lancashire.
So far, that's all I have to go on.
Thanks for your help, as ever. The news about the registration districts presents some hope that I'll track him down!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 12:42 BST (UK) »
I presume this your Thomas ?

O'Rourke household

married one year - youngest child Laurence age 7 month's. Probably a search for that birth would be a good place to start - which would give you Maria's maiden name and then help a search for the marriage...to give his father's name and occupation. This registration district is for the area they are listed in 1911 is Clifden

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
there's only one good match - the other is a John Lawrence in Wexford...and two others registered without first-names in Cavan and Dublin

Name: Lawrence O'Rourke
  Registration district: Clifden
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1910
  Volume : 4 / Page: 138

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
I believe Maria's maiden name is Madden - and these are the
marriage references :

Name: Thomas Augustine O'Rourke
  Registration district: Clifden
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year:   Oct - Dec 1909
  Volume : 4 / Page: 77

If this is the correct marriage then the cert should show details of Thomas' father which should help confirm or  rule out any births..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Yes, this is grandad. I have sent away for Uncle Larry's birth cert (they take so long to come!) and I believe that his mother, Maria, is Maria Madden. I have also sent away for the marriage cert for Thomas and Maria. I have a death cert for Maria for 1920 (aged 32) where she is declared the wife of a mechanical engineer, so this seems to tally well. Also have a birth cert for their daughter, Frances (3 march 1916) where Thomas (now adding Augustine to his name) is living in Ballinaboy and is a Mechanic.
Still stumped on his first marriage, however. I'll need to do a search on the English side again.
Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 13:04 BST (UK) »
Based on places of birth for James and John I think the English 1901 census is the next step ... and maybe trying a few birth certs for them

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline whatafamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello, doubt if you will still be online but if you look at all then I am Colette O'Rourke (maiden name) and the daughter of Lawrence O'Rourke (rip Daddy).  I am amazed to see this thread.  Doing the same 3 years later and also stumped trying to find Mary Corrigan but I am slightly amazed that Mary Corrigan was not Thomas Augustine's first wife.  The nuclear first family (when Mary Corrigan died) was Thomas, Maria, John Joseph, and James.  John (if it is the same John) married my mother's sister (John and Lawrence half brothers married two sisters).  If I have got it all wrong and you are still around then I would love to hear from you.  You have given me a new direction whatever happens.  Don't know who you are but welcome to the family!!!