Author Topic: MITCHELL australian army  (Read 1826 times)

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MITCHELL australian army
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
hope someone might be able to help me please with a search which has been bugging me for years I have searched lots of sites but no luck my grandad had pic on wall of 2 uncles who joined australian army in WW1 never came home as Harry mitchell 1884 from bermondsey parents george and fanny mitchell he seems to vanish after 1901 census i think its him and i know mitchells related to me are in australia but dont know where could anyone please see if i am right and put my mind at rest that he settled not died
Mitchell-Bermondsey, Walworth/ Powers-Stepney, Pekham,/ Flynn-Limerick, Camberwell/ Dawson-Kent/ Bartlett-Deptford Kent,/Burrows-Surrey, Hitchin & Holywell In Bedfordshire

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: MITCHELL australian army
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Janeann
You can search the records here for WW1 and even see their digitised army records.
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/

You can search as a guest.

I only found one Harry Mitchell who died in the war and he was born in NSW.  There is a Harry Alma Mitchell who was born in Bromley Kent in about 1878 who was discharged and returned to Australia. And a Harry James Mitchell who was born in London in 1885 but father was Charles.  The other Harry Mitchells in AIF in WW1 were born in Australia

Was there a middle name?

I haven't searched the Harold's or Henry's as it's getting late here.
regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 02:11 BST (UK) »
thanks kim i have looked at this site before because there were 2 brothers but didn't find anything will try again tho fingers crossed this time if it was not harry who went i dont understand why i cant find a date of death and last time he was recorded was 1901 thanks alot tho
Mitchell-Bermondsey, Walworth/ Powers-Stepney, Pekham,/ Flynn-Limerick, Camberwell/ Dawson-Kent/ Bartlett-Deptford Kent,/Burrows-Surrey, Hitchin & Holywell In Bedfordshire

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 03:09 BST (UK) »
When you say "never came Home" do you mean they died during WW1 or did not ever returned to UK after WW1.

You say they were are two brothers in the Aussie Army during WW1

Could you give us both brothers christian names and surname, place, County, and year of birth and parents names. ( sorry i don't know where bermondsey is located in the UK)

Also have you any idea of when they original travelled from the UK to Australia, and in which State they settled.

I am having trouble working on your request, Australia is a very big place, BDM records are registered in each individual State,

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 03:17 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 03:31 BST (UK) »
I hope I am not adding to any confusion, but in my own tree I have several AIF chaps surnamed MITCHELL but sometimes their surnames have been recorded as MITCHEL (missing the second L) ....  "My" Harry M was among those who returned to Aust, invalided before the Armistice ....  and there's several more generations here in NSW to support that....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 04:49 BST (UK) »
I thank you all in even reading my stuff and i dont know the other brothers name but i will put a few of their names down and an address in the 1901 Census thats the last time he is recorded and they never came back to england a story is they stayed in oz and made lives for theirselves but would be good to know for sure thanks again

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 06:50 BST (UK) »
hi i dont know who he lives with but in 1911 he is living in rotherhithe so he is still here then i cant view full records as im not subscribed but thats the last he is mentioned i am not sure which other brother it could be my mum remembers some and she never remembered harry or charles 1878

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much for all your help i think the way forward for me is to try to find the person who was having their family tree researched and ask me about my g grandmother who was harrys sister then i could find out more about harry hopefully thankyou all again tho