Author Topic: Jessie MacPherson 1869 Ayr  (Read 2881 times)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie MacPherson 1869 Ayr
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
A relative in England reach in and snagged the marriage certificate for me off SP.  Tons of information and many questions answered.  It is a beautiful day!  Thanks again ....I didn't know about Scotlands People until today.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Great stuff - hope it helps to find her on earlier censuses
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Only because your exchange came up on the subject.  Julius Norval was the assistant govenor at Barnhill poorhouse in 1886, when they married.  I knew he had this position at a poorhouse, but I only just learned that it was Barnhill.
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
My the plot thickens.  It has to be him unless it was wrong or unconfirmed. The last child born was Charlotte in 1899, but we have been unable to find his death until now.  It has to be him.  I guess the children that followed were illegitimate.  We will try to find this earlier death certificate.  He had a bad day I guess.
Thanks yet again!

Kathy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
There is a death showing on SP in 1888 for a Julius Norval, in Glasgow b. 1853. Certainly looks like his death entry (1881 census Name: Julius Norval Age: 28 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853 Relationship: Attendent (Attendant) Gender: Male Where born: Perth, Collace Registration district: Partick Civil Parish: Partick County: Lanarkshire Address: Gartnavel Near Glasgow Occupation: Asylum Attendant - from the link I posted).

Monica

Added: Kathy, if you view Julius' death entry on SP, look out for the red button on the search results screen for additonal info on the RCE (Register of Corrected Entries). I would imagine there would likely be an RCE for his death (an extra 2 units to view)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Carole,

Perhaps you can answer something that I am unfamiliar with.  On a marriage certificate in the notation at the end of the entry is "1st 2rd 3rd times I"  others on the same day say "first II".  Do you know what this means?  I can't tell you the church or rites but I am pretty sure that they weren't Catholic.

Kathy

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 20 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathy

Charolette Middlemiss/Norval is my grandmother. Janet Jessie Stewart McPherson is my great grandmother Nice to meet you! Are we cousins? Anyhow I have lots of documents for all the people you mentioned. I would gladly share what i have collected. Could I ask you your relationship to Jessie Stewart McPherson?

Cheers

Alan
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 September 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you can answer something that I am unfamiliar with.  On a marriage certificate in the notation at the end of the entry is "1st 2rd 3rd times I"  others on the same day say "first II".  Do you know what this means?  I can't tell you the church or rites but I am pretty sure that they weren't Catholic.
If it says that it isn't a marriage certificate, it's a record of proclamation of banns from before the start of civil registration in 1855. The banns had to be proclaimed three times before the wedding could go ahead.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.