Author Topic: McAree family from Monaghan  (Read 6867 times)

Offline Doink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAree family from Monaghan
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for links to a Matthew McAree, from the town of Monaghan, who was married to a Margaret Coyle.  They were probably married in the late 1830s (they had a daughter, Elizabeth, born in Monaghan in 1840) and emigrated to Glasgow some time in the late 1850s.  They also had the following children, all born in Ireland: 

Elizabeth McAree:  born c. February 1840
John McAree:  born c.1842
William McAree:  born c.1844
Joseph McAree:  born c.1853

The family may also have used the surname King, which they said was the anglicized version of McAree.

Margaret Coyle was the daughter of John Coyle and Bridget Boylan.

Any information gratefully received.

Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAree family from Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the information you are looking for is well before the start of civil registration.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joejack101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was very interested in your post as you have inadvertently solved a mystery I could not figure out for years! My Mother's maiden name was MALARKEY and my ancestors moved to Glasgow 1847 or 1848.

Complicated to put in to words but there was a FANNY MCAREE who died in Barnhill Poorhouse in Glasgow in 1898 and on her death certificate her parents are down as HUGH MCAREE and BRIDGET MCAREE (nee QUIGLEY). She was married to PETER MALARKEY and on the 1861 census in Glasgow they resided at 73 Kirk Street.
Now, Peter died in 1889 and his wife is down as FANNY KING on the death certificate (which put me off my tracks because I knew the Peter I was interested in had married a MCAREE).

When they married in 1859 she is on the marriage cert as FRANCES KING.

On the 1861 census they had two lodgers living with them PATT and JAMES MCAREE who look like to have been Fanny's younger brothers. They are down as having been born in Co Fermanagh.

If you want any of the certificates I have for the McAree's just let me know.  One of Fanny's brothers married young when living in Garngadhill in Glasgow and had a child who died very young.

How did you come to find out that MCAREE was anglicized into KING - that's an amazing find for me...

Best wishes, Gerry Mellon.

Offline Doink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear that's of help.  I don't recognise any of the names from your McArees, so I suspect it's a different branch to mine.

I got the information about the name from a poor law record, where my G-G-grandfather gave both names and told the inspector that his mother had told him that McAree was the Irish for King.  That particular branch of the family were not always on the right side of the law, and I have no doubt that having an easy alias to hand was sometimes quite convenient!

Best wishes

Dominic

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I was interested by this case of McAree - King equivalence. This was because a Perthshire name also exists of Mcaree - obviously no connection. However some members also made use of the English name King. Where they lived was near the Scottish Gaelic language boundary with Scots. So there was nearly complete bilingualism. In this particular case the logic is clear, because Mcaree is in Gaelic Mac a' Righ 'son of the king', so King is an obvious choice for anglicization.

Norval Smith

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 16:10 GMT (UK) »
In Irish Gaelic the name is Mac an Righ.