Author Topic: Robert McArthur BEATON - the missing years  (Read 2858 times)

Offline mickj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert McArthur BEATON - the missing years
« on: Wednesday 11 April 12 02:07 BST (UK) »
Helping a dear friend try to find out more about her father .....

Robert McArthur BEATON was born Belfast 22 July 1897. In the early 1930s in Australia his marriage disintegrated, his political ambitions failed to materialise and he was involved in a lengthy court case between his employer and the Customs Department.
On 18 December 1934 he arrived in England on the vessel "Moreton Bay". His London address was Queen's Hotel, Leicester Square, his age given as 36 and he is described as an Industrial Officer.
On 17 December 1957 he died at the Royal Free Hospital, St Pancras, age about 60 years, a company director, whose address was Caledonian Christian Club, 9 Endsleigh Gardens, St Pancras. He left no will.
My question is  ...  what did Robert do, where was he from 1935 to 1957? I cannot seem to find him anywhere. Any suggestions please?
Mick

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McArthur BEATON - the missing years
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Purely suggestions. A Robert Beaton appears in London electoral regs years 1946/47 at Fulham Palace Road SW6, and there is a sailing from Southampton to USA in 1948 of a Robert born approx 50-born c1898. Do not have credits for FindMyPast to ascertain addresses or occupation etc.

John

Offline mickj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks John.
Now with the knowledge of Robert BEATON's address from his death certificate I find in the Electoral Registrations for Holborne and St Pancras that Robert's address from 1946 through to 1958 was given as the Caledonian Christian Club, 9-11 Endsleigh Gardens, WC1. There were a great number of people registered for that address. I guess the club had a lot of single rooms, a common room and a dining room serving breakfast and the evening meal. Possibly no bar! I wonder how expensive was the tariff? To  live eleven years in a room in a club seems quite strange to me but I guess it was for convenience sake. He could mix with the other residents or retreat to the solitude of his room as his mood dictated.
Mick

Offline PDSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mick,
I read your post some time ago and this reply might be too late, but Robert Beaton was my godfather and the best friend of my father who also lived, during the war years in the Caledonian Club in Endsleigh Gardens.
Uncle Robert, as I knew him, was a wonderful person - kind, generous, and great fun. I loved it when he visited. He gave me many presents, including an articulated wooden Scottie dog on wheels which I pulled everywhere and called Beaton! And it was Uncle Robert who called me by the nickname Paddy.
He was in the business of manufacturing and selling costume jewellery. I still have a very small amount of this - he regularly gave pieces and sets to my mother and her sister.
I do hope you still visit this site, six years down the line, and that this information is helpful to your friend. I still remember the day Uncle Robert died. I was 10 at the time. We were eating breakfast one day when my father received a phone call from the hospital - I think he was effectively named as the next of kin and was responsible for Uncle Robert's funeral arrangements. That was the first occasion on which I ever saw my father cry. (The only other time was at the funeral of my maternal grandmother.)
With every good wish, Patricia

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia
Mick has not been on site since September 2014.  I have sent him a personal message.  Yu will be able to send a personal message to him but only after another 2 posts making 3 in total from you.  So if you reply to my post and then make do another separate reply (even with just a Hi) that will be your 3 posts and you can then pm Mick yourself.

Kind regards Jeanette
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

Mick will get an automatic notification of your post from Rootschat.  However - if he has changed his email address since he last posted it won't be delivered.   Fingers crossed it's the same address  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PDSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks for your response to my message.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing here - I have no idea how this website works, but I do hope the person looking for Robert Beaton had either already found what he needs or gets the information I have to offer.

Thank you. Patricia

Offline PDSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
This is my second reply, in the hope that I can make contact.
Patricia