Author Topic: MENZIES, John (b.1898) from Scotland to Canada (Frontenac, Ontario)  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Mollydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MENZIES, John (b.1898) from Scotland to Canada (Frontenac, Ontario)
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 06:27 BST (UK) »
John Menzies born 11 August 1898, Longriggend, Lanarkshire, Scotland.  Father, John Menzies.  Mother, Margaret Ramage and sisters, Mary, Marion and Janet.  John was sent with the "Home Children" to Canada 1908 from Quarrier's Homes, Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

The Canadian 1911 Census shows that he was living on a farm Lot 13, Sunbury Village, Storrington Township, District of Frontenac, Province of Ontario, Canada.  He was a Domestic - Farm Labourer living with the Sharmon family:
• Dudley (Head) age 33
• Margaret (Wife) age 36
• Grace (Daughter) age 6
• Maggie (Daughter) age 4
• (Son) age 2
• John (Father) age 64
• John Menzies born Aug 1898, age 12 - from Scotland 1908 (Domestic – Farm Labourer).

I would be grateful for any information at all on John Menzies, as he is my Great Uncle and I want to add his descendants to my family tree.

Regards
Mollydog
Menzies (Scotland)
Beattie (Scotland and Ireland)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MENZIES, John from Scotland to Canada (Home Children)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

according to this reference your John Menzies was sent to Brockville Ontario. He may have stayed in that area.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011003_e.html
Home Children
~~~~~~~~
MENZIES , John
Sex: M 
Year of arrival: 1908 
Microfilm reel: T-503 
Ship: SS Grampian 
Port of departure: Glasgow 
Departure Date: 4 Apr 1908 
Port of arrival: Halifax 
Arrival Date: 14 Apr 1908 
Party: Quarrier's Boys 
Destination: Brockville Ontario 

There were 88 children on that ship and a random check shows that most if not all were going to Brockville, Ontario. You may have some luck trying to contact local genealogy or historical groups - they may have newspaper archives, etc about this event.  The 1911 census for Canada is still tied up in redtape so no luck looking there yet.

here are some possible sources of information -

Government of Canada Files
          Search terms :  " : 2=1 : 1=CHILDREN AND INSPECTION AND "1910" : " References: 1 - 1 of 1
~~~~~~~~

1 Reference: RG76 , Immigration , Series I-A-1 , Volume 66 , Reel C-4734
File : 3115 , Access code: 20
Parts: 6 
 File Title:  Inspection of children (Lists). 
 Outside Dates:  1910-1915 
 Finding Aid number:  76-5 

Government of Canada Files
          Search terms :  " : 2=1 : 1=CHILDREN AND INSPECTION AND "1908" : " References: 1 - 4 of 4
~~~~~~~~

1 Reference: RG76 , Immigration , Series I-A-1 , Volume 66 , Reel C-4734
Parts: 4 
 File Title:  Inspection of children (Lists). 
 Outside Dates:  1904-1908 

~~~~~~~~

2 Reference: RG76 , Immigration , Series I-A-1 , Volume 66 , Reel C-4734
Parts: 5 
 File Title:  Inspection of children (Lists) (Reports). 
 Outside Dates:  1908-1911 

~~~~~~~~

3 Reference: RG76 , Immigration , Series I-A-1 , Volume 434 , Reel C-10314
File : 652682 , Access code: 20
Parts: 1=1907-1908 2=1908-1909 
 File Title:  Inspection of immigrant children in 1908 (lists). 
 Outside Dates:  1907-1909 

~~~~~~~~

4 Reference: RG76 , Immigration , Series I-A-1 , Volume 530 , Reel C-10622
File : 803563 , Access code: 20 
 File Title:  Inspection of immigrant children, 1909 (lists). 
 Outside Dates:  1908-1909 

These files are all on microfilm and can be viewed in Ottawa - it may be possible to have them sent to your local library via interlibrary loan.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02010501_e.html#consult
How to Consult a Record or Order a Copy
To consult a document or to order a reproduction, please provide the complete reference number, including the record group and accession numbers, the series identifier, the volume or box numbers and the microfilm number.

Researchers who live outside the Ottawa area can access microfilm copies of many of our collections through the inter-institutional loan arrangement. Requests for loans must be submitted by the borrowing institution and should clearly identify the source and reel numbers required. This service should only be used for loan requests, not for reference questions.

For more information about the reproduction and consultation services offered by the National Archives of Canada, please follow the Obtain copies and Consult records links.

Copying of certain documents from government collections may be limited by copyright restrictions. Many of the historical records of the Government of Canada in the custody of the National Archives are subject to the provisions of the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act. While the Acts provide a right of access to these federal records, they also contain provisions that restrict certain kinds of information. Consequently, before the records can be copied, they must be reviewed to ensure that no information in the records is subject to the aforementioned provisions of the Acts.

Good luck

Thelma

Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Mollydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MENZIES, John from Scotland to Canada (Home Children)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 05 02:27 BST (UK) »
Thelma, many thanks for that information.  I will check at the State Library here in Melbourne, Australia and see if they can help me.  Our library has quite a large geneology section.

Maybe some of his descendants in Canada are also searching their origins!

Regards
Mollydog
Menzies (Scotland)
Beattie (Scotland and Ireland)