Author Topic: Serendipity  (Read 893 times)

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Serendipity
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 06:37 BST (UK) »
Have been worrying away at one branch of the tree for the last couple of years without success. Eldred Keene was on the 1861 and 1871 census but no sign of him after that. He was in Erith along with his wife and child serving as a police officer in 1871, that entry took some finding as the name was transcribed as Heene not Keene.
                      Last night in sheer frustration, I typed the name into google and to my surprise a website came up with a Leslie Eldred Keene as an ancestor. I was intrigued as this was obviously from Australia and could be an answer as to why he didn't appear on the 1881 census. I sent an e-mail off to the owner of the website hardly dare hoping there was a connection.
                        This morning there was a reply and low and behold there is a connection and my message has been passed on to Eldreds ggg grandson.
So there is always hope, even when you think you are at a brick wall. Maybe the family in Australia don't know the family background before leaving for Australia and I can help them with a few details.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

Re: Serendipity
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
Great news Nessie - shows you how people can 'disappear' too!

Good luck in making your connections!

Paul