Author Topic: Sanderson Family  (Read 5560 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sanderson Family
« on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am having difficulities tracking down the whereabouts of my 3X great grandparents and their two eldest children after the 1861 census.  I've checked into deaths and the later censuses and haven't had any luck.  Their youngest daughter, my great great grandmother was living with her sister with the Melrose family in 1871 (relatives I believe).  Those missing are Hugh and Barbara Sanderson, ages 40 and 39 in the 1861 census, Margaret, the eldest daughter who was 14 in this census and the eldest son Francis Guy who I last saw on the 1851 census who was 10 at that time.  All were living in Galashiels.  Incidentally, Hugh and Barbara Sanderson were married in Galashiels in 1846, so Francis was already around at that time which adds to further questions, was he the son of both of them or just one of them?!  It's possible that they immigrated, I'm not sure.  If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards

BordersLass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sanderson Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Borders Lass,

I found both Barbara and Hugh in the deaths in the 1860s.  They both died in Ladhope and Barbara died in 1869, her age is a wee bit out 53 but close enough to prob be her.
Her other name was Paterson, could be her maiden name?

There are two Hughs dying in Ladhope in 1863 one aged 44 and the other 42 either of which could be yours.    One has a mother's maiden name of Davidson and the other Veitch.

I am in Borders Family History Archives tomorrow so will have a quick look for a grave.
Barbara

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 10:15 BST (UK) »
Good morning Barbara

Thanks to your guidance, I was able to find the death certificates of my 3X great grandparents.  Hugh Sanderson was the one whose mother's maiden surname was Veitch.  My curiousity grows, I wonder what the origin of the name Veitch is as it does not sound Scottish to me.  I'm still trying to find out what had hapened to Barbara's eldest, Francis.  I found out it was Francis Gray Paterson originally as I found his birth in the OPR.  I originally thought his middle name was Guy.
Thank you for looking for the grave, that is very kind of you!

BordersLass   :D
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Borders Lass, no problem.  Sorry the only gravestone that has survived is the other Hugh, the one born around the same time but married to an Ann. You will have seen him on your hunts?

Veitch is quite a common name in the Borders

I did not see  your Francis but will have a look and see if I can find him too, but if he died pre 1855 it might be harder.

Barbara

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Barbara

Yes I saw the other Hugh in my search.  My great great great grandfather Hugh died as a result of an accident at the rail station.  I haven't got a clue what happened to Francis; I'm assuming he'd possibly use the surname of Gray (as that was his middle name and he was illegitimate) or his mother's maiden name of Paterson since Hugh Sanderson was not his biological father.

BordersLass  :)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
What did the OPR say about Francis Gray?

I am having trouble finding him at all under any name.

Barbara

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

The OPR says "Barbara Paterson had a son born in Earlston parish eleventh November eighteen hundred and forty years named Francis"

Incidentally, in the left column of the page, Francis Gray was written, however, underneath the surname Paterson was written in slightly different handwriting and a lighter shade than the rest of the writing. 
Moreover, underneath was the birth of Jessie Milne Sanderson, his half sister
who was born 14 September 1854 with both Hugh Sanderson and Barbara Paterson listed as her parents.  I don't know why they are both on the same page?!   ???

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Could you possibly send me this if you have a scanner or it is online on the SP site?  Famiies often baptised their children all together but would have to see it  to make sense of it.

Barbara

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
Of course :)  I found it on SP and I can email you a copy.  I won't be back on here again until tomorrow afternoon so I'll send it then if you can PM me details.

Thanks  ;D