Author Topic: Ell family  (Read 5161 times)

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ell family
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find information about 2 separate Ell family members, who I'm hoping will be related to each other somehow.

First: John Ell b1731 Graveley, Cambs, who married Elizabeth Sumpter in 1760 in Graveley.
IGI gives Stephen and Sarah Ell as his parents, and there is a brother Stephen b1732. Marriage records for Stephen and Sarah (Passeler) say they married in 1729 in Graveley. Sarah was born 1710 in Cambs to John Passeler and Elizabeth Covell.

Second: Jane Ell b1760 approx. The only birth record I can find that is close in date is for 1763 in Bedfordshire, father William. I have seen other trees listing her parents as William Ell and Martha Tall, who married in 1762 in Cambs. William Ell was born in 1743 in Graveley.

And this is where I'm hoping to make a connection between these 2 groups of people.
William Ell was born to Stephen and Ann, with siblings Elizabeth, Thomas, Stephen and Charles, all born between 1736 and 1740. I'm wondering if Ann is the second wife of Stephen (after Sarah), making John and William half brothers?

Jane Ell married Edward Waldock in 1782 in Ashwell, Herts. There seems to be a lot of intermarriage between the Ell, Sumpter and Waldock families, so its not a massive stretch to think these people are all related, but I'm after some confirmation.

Do any of these names ring any bells? I would really appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance,
Crista
Sumner, Warwickshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ell family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
Second: Jane Ell b1760 approx. The only birth record I can find that is close in date is for 1763 in Bedfordshire, father William. I have seen other trees listing her parents as William Ell and Martha Tall, who married in 1762 in Cambs. William Ell was born in 1743 in Graveley.

As you know Crista, I have John Ell in my tree, but I've done no work on him, although I do have the Graveley transcript.

A Jane Ell was baptised in Wrestlingworth Beds in 1763 daughter of William and Martha. But her parents, William Ell and Martha Tall, also married in Wrestlingworth, not in Cambs, per an extracted entry on the IGI. Have you checked the parish register to see if William's parish of residence was other than Wrestlingworth, and to see who the witnesses were?

More in the morning.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
I'm just having a quick look at a few things now, and found something I remember coming up in the Lugsdin/Lugsden thread on here.

Reference to John Ell b1731 possibly marrying Eleanor Coleman rather than Elizabeth Sumpter.
The parish record for the marriage refers to him as "John, the Elder, Ell. So perhaps John's (1731) father remarried? And the 1760 marriage of John and Elizabeth Sumpter is correct for 1731 John. (But then that would make John the son of John and not Stephen, which would then make the birth info dodgy, sigh)

My Ell branch is causing some headaches for me, they don't seem to be as easy to trace as I would like
Sumner, Warwickshire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Crista,

I see from Graveley P.R's on http://freereg.rootsweb.com/ that a William Ell son of Stephen and Ann who was baptised in 1842 was buried the same year and looks like Ann(e) died 1843.  So was there another William born 1843?

Regards
Selina

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina,

No, that was my useless typing. It should have said 1742 not 1743. Which then makes you absolutely right, William was buried in 1742. Poop. So pretty impossible for him to have married Martha (or anyone haha!).
That's good though, thanks, that helps remove one factor from my tree.
Looks like I'll have to re-think who Jane's father William Ell is.
Sumner, Warwickshire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 12 22:53 BST (UK) »
Shame about William though - now you have to find another birth!

Just in case it comes in handy a Jane Ell was married in 1778 at Guilden Morden to James Betts of Steeple Morden.  Jane was of Guilden Morden.
The only other Ell listed for the two Morden parishes is the burial of a Jane Ell in 1789 a widow and pauper.

Many years later in 1861 one of the Ashwell Waldocks (Jeffery) married into one of my 'trees' - Worboys.

Selina

Offline fe_nyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 12 00:28 BST (UK) »
Interesting about your Waldock-Worboys connection, I found yesterday one of my female Waldocks of Ashwell married a Worboys guy. Earlier than you have said though, and I don't have my tree open at the moment to check who it was, maybe Elizabeth Waldock from memory...

Definitely back to the drawing board for William Ell, a shame, but never mind. Thats part of the fun of doing this, uncovering exactly how everyone is linked together. Better to work it out now than to have a deceased man as part of a marriage and family  :P
Sumner, Warwickshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 12 05:43 BST (UK) »

The parish record for the marriage refers to him as "John, the Elder, Ell. So perhaps John's (1731) father remarried? And the 1760 marriage of John and Elizabeth Sumpter is correct for 1731 John. (But then that would make John the son of John and not Stephen, which would then make the birth info dodgy, sigh)

The elder/younger or senior/junior doesn't necessarily mean father and son. Just that two people of the same name live in the parish and one is older than the other, which is how they're differentiated. I've seen the relationhip as grandfather/grandson, and uncle/nephew

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline cooljewels

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
my maiden name was Ell and i didnt know my relatives but my names julie elizabeth my fathers name is *  mother * i have 2 sisters * and *. i know i have a aunty * and uncle *, i was interested when i saw your messages and wondered if i was related to the names you gave as not much else is known about my fathers side of the family, hope to hear from you with any updates, thank you 

* see next reply