Author Topic: finding myself  (Read 16367 times)

Offline smiffella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: finding myself
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
I have some scanned images from the family bible and loads more and this is straight from the family bible from a scan provided by relatives in USA:

George Towle died 28th May 1879, at Summerland. 58 years
Mary Towle died 25th December 1918, at Ramsey. 81 years
Frederick Huxley Towle died 13th January 1894, at Winnipeg. 22 years
William Richard Towle died 7th March 1906, at Ramsey. 36 years
Gertrude Amelia Towle died 11th November 1917, at Ramsey. 43 years
Thomas Henry Towle died 19th March 1929, at Salt Lake City Utah. 69 years
Charles Rodney Towle died 12th March 1928, at Winnipeg. 64 years
Edith Alice Towle died 26th January 1930, at Ramsey. 58 years
Louie Towle died [ink faded]
Minnie Towle died [ink faded]

There is no mention of John Craddock or George William Craddock probably as they were from the first marriage with Elizabeth but there is also no mention of my line (great grandfather) George Albert in this text.  My guess being this is Geroge Albert's handwriting (can't exactly write about his own death).  My Great grandfather George Albert died in 1942, not killed, just passed away, he was the youngest born just one year before George's death.

The picture I've attached is purpotedly the Towle clan with George top right and Mary (nee Harding) middle centre outside the Greeba Hotel on the Mooragh Promenade Ramsey.  If this the clan then the children were aged at Georges death as follows as he's looking well into his fifties there (died 58):  Thomas Henry - 19, Algernon - 17, Mary - 16, Alfred - 14, Charles Rodney - 13, Catherine Louisa - 11,  William Richard - 9, Frederick Huxley - 7, Edith Alice - 6, Gertrude Amelia - 4, George Albert - 1.  So figuring out who's who if it is them......? I have some more photos, it's a case of fishing them out and I have no idea where Louie or Minnie towle come into the equation, maybe nicknames for Mary and Catherine Louisa??!  Also not much on Alfred or Algernon - they don't appear in the bible but I have their births...they may have died as babes??  If that's correct and they did die this is all the Towle clan except the three youngest - they look a little old to me but it's difficult with Victorian clothing to tell!!

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
This is Edwardian,1905-10.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline smiffella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
Not that I dispute that but how can you tell....clothing I'm assuming?

That helps actually, means I can move this image down a branch on the family tree and see if I figure out who they are or if they will be forever unknown.  I have a few confirmed faces like Charles Rodney and Edith Alice but I could never figure out for certain who these people are and could only go on what I was told and what it just had written on it - 'Towle, Greeba, Ramsey'.  What I found fishy was why would a man who owned a house in Ramsey be pictured on the front steps of a hotel there?

I've recently come into a few more 'unscanned' photos with some vague scribbles on the back I may still yet have a confirmed photo of George, but if you're good at this sort of thing Jim I may post a few more.

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
The only Towle's living on the island at that time was George Albert (& family) b.1879 Isle of Man.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline smiffella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 03 May 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
Thomas Henry emigrated to Salt Lake City
Algernon ??
Mary Towle stayed, married and had three sons, her family line still lives on island.
Alfred ??
Charles Rodney emigrated to Winnipeg, Canada
Catherine Louisa dies a spinster on island
William Richard dies in his twenties on island
Frederick Huxley dies in his twenties on island
Edith Alice dies a spinster on island
Gertrude Amelia dies a spinster on island
George Albert married and had several daughters and two sons and is my line

I can confirm that George Albert and Mary raise a family and was the only daughter who did, I believe the brothers who emigrated did as I have photos of them with kids but have no idea Algernon or Alfred.

Attached is Edith Alice, she worked for the photogrphic studio in Ramsey, hence I have a few of her and used to regale my grandfather with stories about the family former wealth.

Offline marysim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Cartari,

I am the daughter of Horatio Nelson Shervington, who was the youngest brother of Alice (who became Towle) and Ruby.  My grandparents were James Enoch Shervington and Mary Mullens.  Did you live at 93 Moray Street, New Farm in the early 1950's?  I think it was called Moomba.  We stayed there for about a year and I went to school with Molly's daughter, Barbara.  Is that you?  If so, then they are your great grand parents.  I am trying to trace the background of James Shervington, as he came from Antigua.

Offline Allister Hardiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • **PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 07 August 16 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim, so George and John both went to Australia, and their father John Towle mother Hannah Craddock   , Hannah died and John took another wife, the boys went to Australia to start over with the inheritance money, so two shoots of the tree in Australia... As for anymore info from me on my family all very scanty, just very recent myself and my mother.. I still remember her saying something about a Spanish Singer and a ship captain, as she always said there was Spanish blood so I wonder if Hannah Lewis had ancestors way back that are Spanish, as there was so much seafaring going on with England and Spain.. My Grandfather fought in a war.. Sorry that is all I have.. Shall now do what I can with the boys in Australia... Tried to enter a smiley, my Italian computer nuts... Thanks Cartari

I might be able to shed light on this. Towle was marries to Hannah Isaacs, daughter of Louis Isaacs and his wife Phobe (both died 1878) of 3 Great Queen Street, London; he was a furniture dealer. She came out her and made her debut as a singer in 1877, and there is a sketch of her in the State Library of Victoria from the Australian Sketcher" – her stage name was Annetta Scasi.

The divorce  from Towle was reported in the press, and she had an illegitimate son named Lewis (after her father) which Towle said he knew nothing about.

I am trying to find out where she died…there is some confusion in the whole thing. Attached is the press cutting of the court case for all your examination.