Author Topic: Bolas family or/and Cond family  (Read 20372 times)

Offline Richard666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolas family or/and Cond family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
The Bond and the Will are fantastic and make great reading. Does anybody know how I can download them?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
I don`t think that`s possible , you have to buy  a digital  or paper copy .

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

There are only 4 Bolas names on the wills section.
 Just search the name , nothing else.
These may be linked.

Bolas, Anne, Wrexham, Denbigh 
  Anne Bolas : bond, 1806
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/86493

Bolas, Thomas, Wrexham, Denbigh, Yeoman 
  Thomas Bolas : will, 1806.
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/407239

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon

Change page view to English.
On LH side check Family History.
There is a  "Search for" list.
Select Marriage Bonds. Make sure you  select SAVE,
Now search for Bolas, there are 11 results,
They may be of use .
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Richard666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the Bonds and Wills link

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 August 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this is not a will, but we have a Thomas Bolas inkeeper and his relict Mary.

Bolas, Thomas, Chirk, Denbigh 
  Thomas Bolas : bond, 1827
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/931883

This is a will , with names of various children, including a James .

Bolas, William, Halton, Chirk, Denbigh, Yeoman 
  William Bolas : will, 1825
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/179420

Fascinating links Wilcoxon ;D

James and Mary Bolas - as in the original post - are my husband's 4* great grandparents. We have masses of info on son William and family though haven't been able to get further back than James and Mary.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 February 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm back on the Bolas line and think I have made a mistake somewhere  :-\ Too many with the same name and the Middlesex mystery doesn't help. If anyone fancies a look, I'd be really grateful.

William BOLAS (1826-1901) and Naomi JONES (1823-1879) were my husband's 3rd great grandparents. I am happy with the family from there down, though William says he was born in Selattyn, or Chirk or Oswestry and has half a dozen different occupations :) It is his parents, who I believed to be James BOLAS and Mary COND, that I'm now wondering about.

I had James BOLAS and Mary COND marrying in Selattyn on 22 May 1824. They had 5 or 6 children (as far as I've found), though note the change of abode and occupation for Ann... then back again with James before moving to Middlesex.

Thomas, baptised in Selattyn on 25 Sep 1825, James a farmer, of Paradwys
William, baptised in Selattyn on 3 Sep 1826, James a farmer, of Paradwys
Ann, baptised in Selattyn on 14 Sep 1828, James a publican, of Oswestry
James, baptised in Selattyn on 14 Feb 1830, James a farmer, of Paradwys
Mary Ann, no baptism found, but living with her widowed mother Mary in 1841 and 1851 in St Mary, Whitechapel
and possibly Charles, baptised in St Mary, Whitechapel, Middlesex on 8 Jul 1836, James a labourer, of Baker's Row [no death / burial yet found but not with mother Mary in 1841]

I can't find deaths / burials in Middlesex for either James senior or Mary but there is one for James in Chirk in 1837 (right age, 38), so I'm wondering if he returned to the area. According to the death cert (3 Nov 1837, burial in Chirk on 8 Nov), he was a 'late innkeeper', informant his brother William of Cross Keys, Chirk, also an innkeeper. 

James (1851, Spitalfields) and Mary Ann's (1852, Bethnal Green) marriages list father James as a victualler but William's (in Chirk on 13 April 1846 and in Wrexham on 16 Aug 1879) say he was a farmer.

I have also received the death cert for Mary Bolas, (died 7 Jan 1839, buried 14 Aug), aged 79, who was the widow of Thomas, innkeeper. This ties in with the bond document Wilcoxon found earlier as regards Thomas and Mary, but were they James' parents  :-\

I am now totally confused - was James a farmer or an innkeeper / victualler? Could he have been both? Were there two James and Mary Bolases...

Apologies for the confusing post; I had hoped to keep it simple but the (same) names don't help. If anyone can make sense of it that would be great, thanks :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I have found the burial for Charles Bolas - his baptism 9/7/1836 Whitechapel states he was born 30 October which must have been 1835.   Home address given as Bakers Row.

Have found a burial for Charles Boles aged 10 months buried 18/9/1836 at Mile End New Town Independent - home address is Bakers Row, Whitechapel.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Possible death entry for Mary Bolas in London:

Mary Bolar died 1860 Whitechapel - GRO index states she was aged 63.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 02:45 GMT (UK) »
In answer to your question 'Farmer' or 'Victualler', could he have been both?   Yes, he could.   I did a quick check on FindMyPast's 1851 census only  searching on occupation 'Farmer and Victualler' and got 6 results.   I guess they had to augment their income when times were hard.

Annette

London -  Monk