Author Topic: Bolas family or/and Cond family  (Read 20362 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolas family or/and Cond family
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Annette, that is fantastic, thanks so much, esp the possible death of Mary who has been a puzzle for some years. I had tried Bolas, Bolus, Bollass, Boles (all family variations seen before) but not thought of Bolar. The age fits too (great new facility on the GRO). I'll send for the death cert now (specifying James as husband).

I only found Charles last night while typing up my query and checking the facts but the burial fits too, thanks.
While i realise people often had to move to find work, i find it hard to imagine that the family moved from shropshire to London in the 1830s.

Thanks again, Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Lucky that the death is on the GRO website as even with the details it's not coming up on either Ancestry or FindMyPast  ::)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Whatever the family had hoped for in London obviously didn't come to pass since James was only a 'labourer' when son Charles baptised in 1836 and widow Mary was 'Laundress' in 1841 and 'Charwoman' in 1851. 

It's quite possible that James became ill in London and was sent back to his parish of origin i.e. Chirk where he subsequently died.   Or that when he became ill he wanted to die 'back home' and went of his own accord.   Who can say.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
James died of consumption so as you say, he was presumably sent (or chose to) return home. The other 2 surviving children both married in London.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't the Thomas Bolas bp.25/9/1825 Selattyn be the Thomas Bolas who married Ann Gibbons 12/7/1846 St. Anne, Limehouse?    A tree on ancestry has the certificate and it shows his father as 'James Bolas, Dead'.   

Census shows his birthplace in Shropshire with places beginning with 'S' which could be some kind of corruption of 'Selattyn'.

I note that dau. Ann bp.1828 was bur.13/1/1829.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre

There are some entries for both BOLAS and COND on my website if you'd like to take a look.

Hope something there might help.

Jill Rose
www.clwydsurnames.org.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »

Census shows his birthplace in Shropshire with places beginning with 'S' which could be some kind of corruption of 'Selattyn'.

Annette

Maybe the early part of this thread might be of us. E.G this and around:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=592198.msg4427972#msg4427972

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill, and Gadget, i'll have a look.

Annette - I hadn't found anything on Thomas after his baptism and he wasn't with mother Mary in 1841 or 1851 so I didn't pursue it, but that marriage looks promising thanks. I had a note that Ann was buried in Jan 1829 but she is not in the Shropshire burials on FindMyPast so wasn't sure.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***