Author Topic: Bolas family or/and Cond family  (Read 20401 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolas family or/and Cond family
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
To add, particularly for Annette.... i have been in touch with Tower Hamlets registrars who confirm that some of the details i gave to them match some of the info on the 1860 death certificate so i've ordered a copy, but it looks very likely that Annette has found Mary 😀🎉
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm back on the Bolas line and think I have made a mistake somewhere  :-\ Too many with the same name and the Middlesex mystery doesn't help. If anyone fancies a look, I'd be really grateful.

William BOLAS (1826-1901) and Naomi JONES (1823-1879) were my husband's 3rd great grandparents. I am happy with the family from there down,  It is his parents, who I believed to be James BOLAS and Mary COND, that I'm now wondering about.

I had James BOLAS and Mary COND marrying in Selattyn on 22 May 1824. I can't find deaths / burials in Middlesex for either James senior or Mary but there is one for James in Chirk in 1837 (right age, 38), so I'm wondering if he returned to the area. According to the death cert (3 Nov 1837, burial in Chirk on 8 Nov), he was a 'late innkeeper', informant his brother William of Cross Keys, Chirk, also an innkeeper. 

This isn`t much help with the Bolas line, but looks like Mary Conde`s father.
The NLW  website is playing up at the moment, it`s very slow.
I have managed to pick these details out.

http://hdl.handle.net/10107/109806

Cond, William, Mardy, Selatyn, Salop, Shoemaker
Will 1839 died May 1839.
He  had a lot of land and property

William Conde shoemaker of Selattyn
He has eldest son William
Youngest son John
Son Thomas Conde
Daughter MARY BOLAS

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 23 February 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic, thanks wilcoxon, i'll look at that tonight (only on my phone at the moment).

Updated to add: forgot i had my ipad with me  ::). Great find, and easy to read, thanks. Wonder how much a shilling is worth now? And how come a shoemaker had so much land and property  ???

And added.... a shilling from 1839 is just under £4 now using the retail price index, or £5.29 using gdp deflator. Doesn't sound a lot but i guess it needs to be relative to income at the time.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/677748

This is worth looking at,  he has links to Selattyn
 Conde, John, Pen y geulan, Berriw, Montgomery, Gardener
Date 1854.

The site is still very slow loading  after the first page.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 23 February 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks Wilcoxon, John appears to be the youngest son of William, as mentioned in the earlier will. Found him with 5 of his 7 named children in 1851 :)

Can't find William's death or burial though  :(

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 23 February 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
On looking at the will again, it was written 26 Jan 1836.
The date of death is a bit messy so it might be May 1836, in that case it won`t be registered.
It will have to be a search in parish registers. Family Search doesn't seem to have them online.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
29th November 1853 Berriew. Aged 52.
(John not William)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
29th November 1853 Berriew. Aged 52.

I must be looking for the wrong William, I thought Deidre was asking about the one with the will proved 1839.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I gave John's burial -thought you were querying date of will.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***