Author Topic: General Carlow research questions  (Read 5635 times)

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
General Carlow research questions
« on: Friday 13 April 12 22:56 BST (UK) »
I've really gone as far as I can with online searching for my O'Rourke ancestry. I've established a connection back to Anastasia Best who married Michael Rourke and she is listed in Griffiths. In more recent times (i.e. 1900 +/-15) I can see my Rourke's between Clogrennan, Cloydagh, Raheendoran, Tomard, Ballygowan and Staplestown based on census and civil records.

My question is in the absence of church records on line, can you advise which churches in Carlow would cover these areas and does anyone have experience of approaching the church(es) to confirm if they don't mind giving access to the records, would they entertain general searches if you don't have exact dates.

Also which graveyards would likely be the burial sites for these areas.

Regards
Darren
Rourke's, Bowe's and Lawlor's of Carlow  Adamson's, Walker's, Nugent's and Murphy's of Dublin  O'Dea's and Keating's of Limerick  Murtagh's and Reilly's of Westmeath

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: General Carlow research questions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
if your O'Rourke family were RC - then you can check the Maps on the Irish Times website to establish the correct parish - see : Carlow RC Parishes

There are lists included for civil parishes and townlands covered in each RC parish - dates for which records are available, the NLI film reference etc. Historic records for most parishes are available in the National Library in Dublin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
some details on the locations you mentioned - all in the North west of Co. Carlow.

Cloydagh is a Civil parish, there doesn't seem to be a corresponding townland.

Townland, Civil Parish, Barony
-----------------------------------   
Clogrennan/Clogrenan, Cloydagh, Idrone West
Raheendoran, Cloydagh, Idrone West
Ballygowan* (2), Cloydagh, Idrone West
Ballygowan* (1), Tullowcreen, Idrone West,
Tomard AKA Boolyrathornan, Tullowcreen, Idrone West
  (also Tomard Upper & Lower)
Staplestown, Ballinacarrig, Carlow

* Ballygowan could be a single townland split between two civil parishes

Cloydagh & Tullowcreen civil parishes were part of Leighlinbridge RC parish, and the NLI has historic records back to the 1780s. The microfilm ref. is Pos. 4195

Ballinacarrig civil parish was part of the RC parish of Tinryland, and the NLI films cover back to 1813 on Pos. 4192.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane, off to the NLI at some stage
Rourke's, Bowe's and Lawlor's of Carlow  Adamson's, Walker's, Nugent's and Murphy's of Dublin  O'Dea's and Keating's of Limerick  Murtagh's and Reilly's of Westmeath

Offline Louisa_ann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi are your family Catholic. All these places Clogrennan Raheendoran Cloydagh Tomard and Ballygowan are all in the same area of Carlow .They are small areas and are all next to each other covering a distance of approx five miles in circle.These would be in the Catholic parish of Leighlinbridge.This parish is served by Saint Lazarians RC Church Leighlinbridge Carlow and Saint Fintans RC Church Ballinabranna Carlow.The priest for both is Father Tom Lawlor.
Staplestown is about a 15 minute drive from the above list.It does not have a RC Church but has a C of I church .
Hope this is some help.

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking time to respond Louisa Ann, my ancestors are RC with a small few exceptions by marriage