Author Topic: Seeking Information on George Bailey, Smythes Creek circa 1856  (Read 2031 times)

Offline baileysw26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Information on George Bailey, Smythes Creek circa 1856
« on: Saturday 14 April 12 04:56 BST (UK) »
I am seeking any further information on George Bailey of Smythes Creek circa 1856.

George was born to John Bailey ( a labourer) and Mary (surname uncertain) in London.

He most likely arrived from London on either the Bride (1852) or the Emily (1852).

He married Flora McKenzie at River Leigh on 25th January 1856.

Does anyone know the exact location of River Leigh? was it an actual property, a district, or a town which was later called Shelford?

George and Flora had 8 children - Mary Ann, Flora, Kenneth, George, Kate, William, Sarah and Charles. I believe that all 4 sons moved to Charters Towers, QLD and Kenneth later went  to South Africa.

George at various times listed his occupation as a storekeeper, a miner, a groom, and a carter.

George died 8th June, 1900 supposedly aged 84 - yet in his marriage certificate in 1856, he stated his age at 30. I suspect he was only 74 when he died. George is buried in the Scarsdale / Smyhthesdale cemetery, Church of England section.

Would any relatives, descendants, or interested parties with further information on George, Flora or their descendants please reply?

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Information on George Bailey, Smythes Creek circa 1856
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 05:23 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has 5 public trees for George and Flora.The Leigh River is a tributary of the Barwon and flows through Shelford and Inverleigh.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline baileysw26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 06:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I am a member of Ancestry and one of those public trees (Bailey2) is mine.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
Just adding to the confusion - there IS a River Leigh station which is near Heywood; quite a long way from the River Leigh.

http://www.maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=249235&op=674&cmd=sp&c=1&x=141%2E60108&y=-38%2E20029&w=40000&mpsec=0

I note that the births of five of the children were registered in Smythes Creek or Smythesdale.

I see a George BAILEY, gold digger, owning a house in Sharp St, Ashby (I think it's now Newtown,Geelong) in 1856 - however, this may not be him at all!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie Paul Sharp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a Newport near Smythesdale in Victoria. About 20 minutes outside of Ballarat. Some other areas nearby that were pretty popular back then are Piggoreet, Scarsdale, Linton, Carngham and Smythesdale/Smythesdale creek. My family (sharp) were from the area and I’m pretty sure I’ve read of a George Bailey in some of my research

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 07:47 BST (UK) »

Hi

When I was following up family info on my GGF whom had been born at Smythesdale and eventually went to Charters Towers I found the people at the Woady Yaloak Historical Society at Smythesdale to be very helpful.

Gerry