Author Topic: Godley  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Godley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
There is quite a bit about (the above) Walter and his family, including a photograph of whom appears to be Walter's son on Find A Grave.

There is also the passing of Fred Godley, born 30 Mary 1869, "other country", died 10 July 1940, Fresno (County).  Mother's surname: Hunter.

Do you already have this information?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Yodleg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
Wow Lisa there's no stopping you! Thanks for your help.
Yes I saw that Linderman tree but it doesn't have any supporting info and the Godley name is almost non existent in Devon so I disregarded it.
No I am not sure that the 3 brothers immigrated but I can trace all of the rest of the family to 1911 or death except for these 3 who disappear in about 1890. I started looking at immigration to the usual countries and found all 3 names with the right birth dates in California. I suspect it's them but can't prove it.
Richard is the easiest brother to follow, he crops up in all the US census,  dies in 1937 and I can trace his wife (Anna) and then his descendants.
Godley is not a common name in the UK and there are only 8 Richard Godleys born of the right approx age. Of these all but 2 either die in the UK or are still there in 1911 so it seems likely that these are the right people but I'd like to be sure.
Their details are... Walter John Godley 1867 Q2, Frederick Godley 1869 Q3 & Richard Godley 1870 Q4. All born Keymer, Sussex, UK sons of James & Hephzibah Godley. Their christening dates are slightly later than their registration on BM&D's.
The Walter John info looks interesting, where has that come from?
I've seen that death of Fred in 1940 and his mothers surname was Hunt so it looks good.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
The information that Lisa found on Walter was from California voter registrations. 

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 March 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
There's a Richard Godley (Goodley actually but...) who leaves Liverpool for New York on the SS Majestic 5th Apr 1893. He is described as single, English and aged 23, so born 1870ish. There doesn't appear to be any other Godley's on the same voyage.
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline vgallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 May 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello! Are you still looking for information about Richard and Anna Godley? They are my step-father's grandparents. I can confirm for you that Richard is the son of James Godley of Sussex. James owned a pub in Sussex called the Royal George Inn. I am currently researching the other two brothers of Richard who came to the United States. I would love to correspond with you. Perhaps we can share information.

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 May 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi vgallagher

I would be delighted to share any information that I have with you. Have you seen the photo of James Godley and of the Royal George public house. That's probably a good place to start, I was sent them by an American lady called Nicole.

I don't have access to many American family history sites but from what I can piece together Richard & Ann had three grandsons via their son Ferdinand (or Fred) who were called Robert W, Stanley Richard and James Lee.

Regards SP
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline vgallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi SP,

Thank you so much for your response. I believe I have the photo of James Godley that you are referring to as well as a photo of the pub. Fortunately, my mom and stepfather were able to visit the pub many years ago before it was torn down. It was a wonderful experience for them--a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Yes, your information about Ferdinand (Fred) Godley and his descendants is all correct. My stepfather is the James Lee Godley you mentioned. He is the only one of his brothers still living. When I mentioned contacting you to him, he wondered how you might be related to him?

I have been working on Walter John Godley lately. Were you ever able to find all the information you were looking for with regard to him? I have Walter John first living in the Fresno, California area, which my stepfather can confirm. Walter John Godley was a musician (a harpist). My mom says his instrument was donated to the history museum in Fresno. She says they have a photo of Walter with his harp. I would very much like to see it. If that happens, I could send it to you if you like.

After this time, I have Walter as a theatre manager and later as a theatre owner. For many years after that I have him working as a sign painter and living in the San Francisco area. All of this information comes from census, voter records and city directories. My stepfather seems confused by some of the later information. He has some dementia at this point in his life. I am afraid he gets a lot of his information crossed up. All of the information fits perfectly on a timeline, and I haven't found any conflicting information. Does any of this match the information you have?

I was also able to find that this Walter Godley from the San Francisco area had a son, Walter Mallon Godley. The American site, Find-a-Grave had a photo of him. He seems to have my step-dad's chin!

I am so glad to connected with you and that you are willing to share information.

Vicki

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki

I think the relationship goes like this,

James Lee Godley is a great grandson of James Godley & Hepzibah Hunt through Richard Godley (1870) & Ferdinand Godley (1898).

My mother, Americ, is a great granddaughter of James & Hepzibah via Richard's brother William James Godley (1860) and his son Percy Victor Godley (1891).

My branch of the family hasn't moved very far from Burgess Hill, we live about 10 miles to the east, still in Sussex and just to the north of Lewes.

I've got quite a lot of information about the Godley family in Sussex and their descendants but I don't have that much about the brothers who went to America and would love to know more. I'm going to dust off my family tree drawing and bring it up to date. I can send you a copy and/or you can see it on Ancestry although I'm not sure what you can see of the UK site but if you give me an e-mail address I can send you an invite.

I didn't get to see the Royal George pub either, by the time I realised the significance it had already been knocked down but I've collected some articles from the local newspaper about it. There's another important pub at Friars Oak just down the road at Clayton that is quite interesting as well although it has been rebuilt since the Godley's were there.

Regards, Sean

Offline vgallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean,

This is wonderful.  :) I am very happy to have met you, and I'm eager to tell my step-father about his cousin in Sussex. Thank you for the family tree you attached; it I will help me show him how the two of you are related. I am happy to share my email address with you. I have the international version of Ancestry, so as long as you do as well, I would imagine we would be able to see each other's information once we are connected there. My address is vicki.gallagher10@gmail.com. I would like to send you an invite to my tree as well, although there is not much there as I have just begun. I would also be happy to continue our communications through our private email addresses if you would like.

I would love to learn more about the Godley's in Sussex. I will continue to research those in America and share what I find with you. Thank you so much, Sean! I'm looking forward to working together on the Godley family tree.

Vicki

PS I found out about Friar's Oak through Ancestry. Sadly, my mom and Jim didn't know about it when they were in the UK, so they didn't get to see it. They saw the Royal George, and the church and graveyard. They also mentioned meeting a man who shared a book that contained a lot of information about the families of Burgess Hill. Are you aware of such a book?