Author Topic: Matthew Smellie of Medrox  (Read 17557 times)

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Smellie of Medrox
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I have found this info at Gartshore Family Surnames -pafg191-Generated by Personal Ancestry File (Page 1)  "Matthew Smellie was born abt. 1695 in Medrox, New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland."

Another source - Roots Web.com  (Lanark-l Archiver >LANARK> 2002-03> 1015968529

"Maththew Smellie b.1694 Medrox LNK. m. Jean Anderson b. 1698 New Monkland"

Also:  Family Search TM Ancestral File v4.19
"Matthew Smellie b. abt 1694  PLACE. Of Medrox, Lanark, Scotland"

Also:  IGI Individual Record  Family Search Genealogical Index v 5.0
"Matthew Smylie   birth. about 1694   ... spouse Jean Anderson  married abt. 1719 New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland.

I have found some errors on some recorded sites and I may stand corrected with this info I have found.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 08:58 GMT (UK) »
For me it's a no-brainer: one primary source beats any number of guesses.  It looks to me as if someone who had not seen the correct birth record subtracted 25 from the marriage date.  It happens a lot.  I am disappointed to see however, when this thread starts with the correct birth date, that the guess is still being perpetuated.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Gavin Black and Janet Waddell didn't have a son John, or at least not a recorded one.

I have been corrected on that one. There was a John, born 1765. Don has sent me the details of this baptism.

However I still doubt that he is the John Black who married Margaret Smellie, because they named two sons Thomas and one John, and although they had seven daughters it was their 6th one who was named Janet, not their 2nd as you would expect if John was the son of Gavin Black and Janet Waddell.

As their first and third sons were both named Thomas, and their second daughter Margaret, could this John Black be the son of Thomas Black and Margaret Inglis, born 1769?

Also, none of the 7 daughters was named Elizabeth, which is odd if Margaret Smellie's mother was Elizabeth Shanks. What is the evidence for Margaret Smellie being the daughter of Elizabeth Shanks?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I have found this info at Gartshore Family Surnames -pafg191-Generated by Personal Ancestry File (Page 1)  "Matthew Smellie was born abt. 1695 in Medrox, New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland."

Rule No 1. Never believe anything you find on the internet. Use it as a guide to finding the original documents, and check them carefully.

Unfortunately, in part of the FamilySearch files, the LDS seem to have adopted a policy of assuming that a male was aged 25 and a female 21 on the date of their marriage or, if there was no other evidence for it, on the date of baptism of the first child. This has resulted in a plethora of guessed dates in the index, most of which dates can be disregarded. ANY date which is prefixed by 'abt' is a guess, and not to be relied on.

They also assume that people were born in the same place as their children, which isn't necessarily the case. An index entry which describes a person as 'of' somewhere is almost invariably a guess.

This is especially misleading in Scotland, because if you find an original document describing someone as 'of xxxx' this is a specific indication that the person owned xxxx. People who did not own the place where they lived are usually described as 'in xxxx' and people who were only temporarily there as 'at xxxx'. It's not 100% reliable, but it's more reliable than the LDS' guesswork.

Don't misunderstand me - FamilySearch is a fantastic tool, and an unparalleled finding aid, and I am more than grateful to the LDS for producing it and making it freely available. However it does have its quirks and limitations, and you need to be aware of these, and of the possible pitfalls.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm with you all the way Forfarian about the IGI!  I find the new FamilySearch website a more accurate tool but of course it is still an index.
I too have John Black and Margaret Ingles as the likely parents of the John Black who married Margaret Smellie.
Margaret Smilie was christened 19 May 1771, the daughter of John Smilie and Eliz. Shanks.  The entry also adds "port? (for portioner?) of Ester medrox". OPR 651/0020
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Smilie was christened 19 May 1771, the daughter of John Smilie and Eliz. Shanks.  The entry also adds "port? (for portioner?) of Ester medrox". OPR 651/0020

Indeed; but what is the evidence to say that it was this Margaret Smellie/Smilie who married John Black?

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Sasine RS42/70 gives Margaret Smellie, daughter of Elizabeth Shanks and the deceased John Smellie, as the spouse of John Black and Jean Smellie as the spouse of Robert Black.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
That's good enough! Wonder why they didn't name a daughter Elizabeth, then?

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 January 13 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone happen to have an older  map outlining the farm area in Medrox, New Monkland, Lanark , Scotland  that Matthew Smeliie married to Jean Anderson occupied  about 1720. I believe they may have raised their children there.   And also a map of the property location that Matthew  Smellie inherited  at Wester Gartshore when his brother Adam died about 1730.  Would sincerly appreciate any assistance in locating these farm locations on an older map as well as   a present day map.

Thank-You,

Gary

Gary