Author Topic: JOHN ARNOLD  (Read 16635 times)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN ARNOLD
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 December 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Enjoy your holiday.

Frances Eastwood was not married to Alfred Arnold. They were together as a couple, from the 1861 census taken for Frances and at the latest 1863 when their Daughter Esther Arnold was conceived and remained together up until they both died in Chatham, Kent at the Ash Tree Lane Gypsy Camp. Frances 1916. Alfred 1927.

Betsy--was born Betsy Eastwood 6 March 1858 at the Wanderings, Kingston, Surrey--her parents were Frances Eastwood & Frank Page. Frances first born child.

Mercy Eastwood was Frances second born-Father unknown-23 Sep 1860 Old Place Farm, Sandhurst, Kent.
Alfred Arnold was the step-father to both girls and the Arnold children that he and Frances had together were their half-siblings.

In the 1861 census taken at Leigh, Kent Frances, Elizabeth & Mercy are living with her parents George & Phoebe Eastwood. Frances was age 21 and single, surnames nominated for all 3 was Eastwood.

In the 1881 census Elijah and Polly Arnold are visiting Betsy and William--Alfred & Frances were at the Penenden Heath Gypsy Camp in Boxley, Kent at that time with Betsy and William Ackleton`s daughter Mercy, age 3, visiting them, its really not that far from where they were living in Chatham. Esther Arnold is their Sister and could have been living with Betsy & William.

John Arnold and Mercy Huckstep are the parents of Alfred. Alfred is not a twin.

Alfred was christened (CR/) 22 March 1840 and although I have not yet pinned down his birth GRO I do believe that he was also born in 1840, probably the Canterbury area, because Mercy and John CR/ their children quite soon after they were born. The problem with finding his B/GRO is that there are too many same named boys within a 3 year plus or minus age group to choose from.

His known Brothers were;
William CR/ 13 March 1836 St. John the Baptist, Margate, Kent.
John born 24 Jan 1838 at Nethergong, Chislet, Kent. CR/ 25 Feb 1838 Chislet.
Edwin born 23 Feb 1842 Chislet. CR/ 25 Feb 1838 Chislet.

I hope this helps you in sorting out who belongs to who.

Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 December 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for this I will be in touch soon happy new year to you.

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Bit of a slip up there; Alfred was christened in Chislet and Edwin was christened in 1842.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline trevmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 February 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Would be interested in Arnold chatham have lots of info

Offline Reuben Hathaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 January 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
hello,i am trying to fathom out mary ann hedges and mary sophia. it seems john arnold who lived in chatham is with these women,1881 and 1891 census shows john and mary ann,1861/71 and 1901 census says mary sophia with john, also mary ann was born in romford in 1881 in 91 plumstead,sophia was born in plumstead,some people say they are the same people,when i go to match the children on ancestry even they were born in different places .i do know that there were and still are 2 arnold families in chatham that i dont think are actually related can any one clear this up please thanks

Offline trevmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 January 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
John and Sophia were my great great great grandparents they had my grandad Alf they thrived at Chatham hill he had many brothers fans sisters I can email them to you

Offline trevmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 January 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
A lot of these did not church and had many partners and even more kids , my mum did not allow the arnold names .

Offline trevmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 January 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
My John born 1838 and Mary Ann 1837 I think from irland
Had James 1860 romford
John 1861 Chatham
Mary 1862
Esther 1864
William 1867
Selina 1873
Eliza 1874
Henry 1875
Eliza could be Elizabeth 1876
Sophia 1878
Elizabeth 1880
Young John married louisa and had Albert Mary and Alf my grandad
Can't find a link to elijah
But a Elizabeth married a hook
Have lots of info can match them up

Offline trevmed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 January 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I have eligih age 6 in the work house with  Sarah arnold age 91 1871 census I think she may have been a relative