Author Topic: HERRING Family, Marsh Gibbon  (Read 9941 times)

Offline grossan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HERRING Family, Marsh Gibbon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 November 07 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Jan - I have now had time to look re my connection with your Herring family and see that I have Sarah Herring marrying William Templar on 9th November 1805 in Marsh Gibbon and that they had two children Mary, born 16.08.1807 (christened in Marsh Gibbon 31.08.1807, and John, born 08.04.1809 (christened in Marsh Gibbon 28.05.09).   I think Caleb Templar is the common denominator as Sarah Herring married one of his sons from his second marriage and Mary one of the daughters from his first marriage married a John Young (my ancestor).
Maybe you have all this information and if so I apologise for wasting your time.     Regards   grossan

Offline triciamc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
This won't help you tracing your tree backwards, but you may be interested in William HERRING who moved to Yorkshire.
My g-grandfather Edwin TOMPKINS was a platelayer with the railway - he moved from Marsh Gibbon to S Yorks in the 1860s or 1870s.
In the 1881 census (see ancestry.com) William HERRING aged 24 is shown as his neighbour in S Yorks - perhaps also working for the railway, they may have moved together.
I don't have any Herrings in my tree, but if you have any info about Marsh Gibbon generally (my ancestors were agricultural labourers), the railway, or any TOMPKINS, HAYNES, HUGHES, CLEMENTS, WELFORD, PRATT, I would be interested
Regards
Pat

Offline rkm_hm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 June 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Over the last 12 years, I have been researching my HERRING family and have quite a bit of research relating to my family and other branches.  If you have the surname HERRING in your family tree, I am happy to pass on any info I may have.

Jan

Herring, Johnston, Stocker, Whitbread

Hi Jan,

I realise that it's over 6 years since you posted this, but I've suddenly become interested in the part of the family which moved from Marsh Gibbon to Warwick in the 1870s.
A friend of mine has acquired (they came in a piece of second-hand furniture) a lot of letters/photos etc. relating to the Herrings of 6 Church Street Warwick in the 1930s and 1940s - and would like them to go to an interested living relative.

The family concerned is Albert Richard Herring (son of Thomas Herring and Mary Ann Giles) and their son Richard - who died in 1981, apparently without issue.

Are you in touch with any likely living relatives?

Cheers,
Roger
Mills
Williams
Godfrey
Cottis
Herring
Candish

Offline carol46

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 April 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan. My maiden name is wilkins. I recognize the herring name my ancestors come from Marsh Gibbon,my dad is burried there. My great Aunt Edna's second marriages was to a Herring i believe.
wilkins,moors,cooper,palmer,nix,rawlins,aries/aris,haddocks,coxhead (oxfordshire)
clasby,brooker,bartlett,snelgrove,harfield,
goddard,taylor,evans(hampshire)
moss,sanders,
childs(bedfordshire/Northamptonshire)
boswell(london)
Brimley(London,Bedfordshire)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Jan - I have only just read this thread.

Rowland Herring, of Marsh Gibbon, 1778-1854, married my four times great aunt in 1806.

Hence I have a few Herrings in my tree. I also have quite a few of their descendants with incomplete details. Is this Rowland one of yours ?
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides