Author Topic: Waresley Court  (Read 7638 times)

Offline jim1212

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Waresley Court
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 July 07 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found this on the following site,

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43140

Waresley is a hamlet and ancient manor to the south of the village. Waresley House was for many years in the latter half of the 19th century the residence of Dr. John Peel, D.D., Dean of Worcester. From about 1876 until his death in 1912 the Rev. Benjamin Gibbons lived there. Waresley Court is now occupied by Lord Hampton.  Hope it helps

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 July 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for going to the trouble of looking this up for me & obviously most things about Hartlebury are of interest to me - however waresley house & waresley court were two totaly diferent places in the same village

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 July 07 15:40 BST (UK) »
A message for StintonLomas

Hi There

Are you by any chance researching the Stinton's who were painters for Worcester Porcelain as I have a very good friend who is doing the same & has traced them to Claines but has hit a [very old] brick wall there

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare

ps my friends name is Mary Burniston in case you have already been in touch by post
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 July 07 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
A message for StintonLomas

Hi There

Are you by any chance researching the Stinton's who were painters for Worcester Porcelain as I have a very good friend who is doing the same & has traced them to Claines but has hit a [very old] brick wall there

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare

ps my friends name is Mary Burniston in case you have already been in touch by post
I haven't got any of the Worcester Porcelain Stintons i'm afraid.

My worcester Stinton (Maternal GGrandfather) was a John Stinton born 1815 (according to census ages) and variously shown in different census as a Skinner, Fell Monger.
He moved around a fair bit and was in Hereford and then later Bristol, and Cheltenham(death).
I have really struggled to get further back with him, I haven't definitively found a birth record or marriage (Jane Burroughs from Devon according to censuses) record.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I thought it was worth asking on behalf of my friend as she has been working on her Stinton line since before record offices were the norm & she used to have to get her info from the churches

Good luck with your researech

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 July 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

You don’t mention what and where you have searched – probably because the list is so long!  Have you read Page 63 of “Hartlebury Worcestershire. The Record of a Parish.”  compiled and edited by R O Walker in 1987? Let me know if you haven’t, because it gave me some ideas on where you could try looking at the Worcestershire Record Office (WRO), the Worcester Family History Centre (WFHC) and elsewhere.

You also say that you are working your way through Berrows Worcester Journal. If your patience hasn’t been exhausted, you could look at some of the WFHC microfilms of the local rag, The Kidderminster Shuttle, for the period 1910 to 1926 when the Court was demolished. Once you have pinpointed the date articles began to include photographs, perhaps you’ll get lucky and find one featuring Waresley Court in the background, e.g. any of the Waresley Court Scout Troop which Lord Hampton’s son set up. According to Mr Walker’s book he was a friend of Lord Baden Powell. If you look at Kidderminster and District Scouting website http://kidderminsterscouts.org.uk/history.htm Baden Powell visited Kidderminster in 1911, perhaps he also visited Waresley Court!!

Regards

Nemo

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Please dont bother with Waresley court any more as I'm droping it from my research as even the Hartlebury History Society have been unable to find anything about it in the record office

Please concider this topic closed - thank you all for your suggestions though

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 December 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
If any of you remember this topic I have since obtained photographic evidence of the existence of Waresley Court & was sent the photographs from the family archives of the mother of the current Lord Hampton a few years ago

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 December 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
If it is of any interest you can see Waresley Court on this !927 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/384290/269940/12/101160
Chang the zoom level with the - in the top left corner.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk