Author Topic: more info from newspaper cutting?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
more info from newspaper cutting?
« on: Tuesday 17 April 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
any ideas where i maybe able to find out more info on this thanks
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: more info from newspaper cutting?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
hi,,do you know if this likely to be WW1 OR WW2?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
hi
           its  WW1 i just dont know the yr it wasnt written on it, i dont no anything about his time in the war, his full name was Thomas William   Lane and he came from Wellington, Somerset
                                        Thanks 
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
If someone has access to the Army Lists of the period, then the two 2/Lts could be found - if they were 2/Lt in 1914 but promoted by 1916, it would narrow the dates down? I don't have access myself, but.... Incidentally neither 2/Lt seems to be on CWGC so both survived the War.

All based on the principle that tracing officers is easier than other ranks....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Figgis could be 2nd Lt Douglas Thomas Figgis 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers and Leahy could be ex Cpl now Lt WJ Leahy RE.

Unconfirmed though

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  My gg-uncle is the Sapper t lane.  Would anyone know how I could go about finding out about what happened that day thanks

Offline Tyrannosaurus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
There's something here.
http://www.neateauctions.co.uk/auction_print.php?auction_id=102742

"Extract from 157th (Field) Coy R. E. Orders 13/8/1917
Gallant Conduct. The O.C. had read with much pleasure a report from 2nd Lieut. Leahy, R.E. of the extremely gallant conduct under very heavy shell fire of the undermentioned N.C.O and men, when he and 2nd Lieut. Figgis, Royal Irish Fusiliers were wounded, and he wishes to thank them for maintaining the high traditions of our corps by their action.
134467 Lce. Cpl. Allan. J. 480716 Sapper Elvem. R.
108788 Sapper Coyne, J. 154694 Sapper Lane. T.
180786 Sapper Hawke. D.

Certified true extract. Major P. J. Whittall."

Rex

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. That's great it gives me his number which I didn't have and the yr now just need to find out where he was and what happened.
       Thanks agian Matilda

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
So its 157th Field Company War Diary for 1917 that you may need to find they are at Kew some are online...Also the RE Library at Brompton in Kent may have some?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.