Author Topic: Russia & Poland Jewish Ancestors  (Read 8481 times)

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
  • Rossiter / Cohen / Cummins / Rubenstein / Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Russia & Poland Jewish Ancestors
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I'll check the site.

Hello -

The sister of my great grandmother married a Russian Jew and I found Stuart Rosenblatt's website -http://www.irishjewishroots.com - very useful.

craggagh.
Rossiter / Cohen / Cummins / Rubenstein / Lord

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me Justin. Yes, the names came from the head stones. I always knew the location but a recently discovered distant cousin actually visited and added photos to her ancestry tree.

Where did you track them down? What source did you use?

I need to go through my notes but I think I saw my great grandfather's marriage or birth certificate. that's were I found Starovsk. There will be another thread here somewhere. I think I found it. Just browsing on phone now so will check later.

Thanks again.

Marc

Hello Marc,

What is the source of their Hebrew names? Their gravestones perhaps?

I'm just a bit surprised that a man with the Hebrew name Nachman chose to be called Simon in English.

If the Hebrew name is correct, then it looks like he came from a place called Koło in the governorate of Kalisz, midway between Warsaw and Poznan.

Also, how have you determined that your Cohen ancestors came from Starovsk (a town I cannot place)?

Justin

Offline talktonite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Makes sense. A few of my family on this side still use different names!

I paid less than £20 for the  alien registration document  for my ggfather from Glamorgan records office + it had his emigration date , exact birth , all addresses from 1916-1920   and ...a photo ..

Were  such certificates only in GB because of WW1

re names i wonder if some people just chose random english names rather than following conventional traditions ;

Ggfather's brother has turned up with 1st names  Jacob B . Barius . Benjamman J,Barnett. Barnard  +
one sister starts as Sore, becomes Sarah by the time the family is established in USA she is Celia   
Not to mention Khaya  to Rebecca ,then Tilly matilda + back to Tillie    so using 1st initials on searches won't always find the right person .   
I'd never have found the Latvian connections without justin's invaluable help
 Good luck in your search