Author Topic: Lt Col Austin Thorp  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Lime tree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lt Col Austin Thorp
« on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the service number of Lt Col Austin Thorp, CMG DSO Ordre of Leopold avec Palme , Croix de Guerre, he was  a Gunner and killed in France on 30th October 1918.

Can anyone help?
Garrett, Chapman, Morton, Perrin, Reynolds, Turtle, Tuthill, Allen, Eggington, Farmelo, Speaight, Robinson, Barker, Greenwood, Love, Lawrence, Peal.

Suffolk, Middlesex, East Riding, Wiltshire

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lt Col Austin Thorp
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
Officers did not have service numbers in WW1.
Have you found him on the CWGC site?
A

Offline Lime tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have found him in a number of places - CWGC, London Gazette etc. His grandson is trying to find out where his medals are; they were given to the RA Museum by his father but they have no record of them. I suspect it'll be very difficult to trace them.
Garrett, Chapman, Morton, Perrin, Reynolds, Turtle, Tuthill, Allen, Eggington, Farmelo, Speaight, Robinson, Barker, Greenwood, Love, Lawrence, Peal.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
I think you are correct about the difficulty in tracing medals, especially as officers' medals did not bear their name when issued as I understand it.
There is a British Medals Forum where I believe people have had help.
A

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 12 12:04 BST (UK) »
His grandson is trying to find out where his medals are; they were given to the RA Museum by his father but they have no record of them. I suspect it'll be very difficult to trace them.

These are important decorations and Thorp was clearly an exceptional officer; it's a real shame that his medals have apparently disappeared. Are you sure of the museum? It seems pretty unlikely that a museum would have no record of such an important donation, so I was just wondering if the medals had been given to a different museum and the account of the donation was in error? Perhaps worth trying a home town museum or even the IWM?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Lime tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
You're right, he was an exceptional officer and his Times Obituary supports that. I will pass on your suggestions about the IWM but I think that he has documentary evidence that the medals (and a photograph album) were sent to the RA Museum. He is unamused that the Museum apparently has no trace of either.

Offline yeo1794

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
I'm sure this will be of interest re Col. Austin Thorp.