Author Topic: James Scott, Broadley, Enzie b1874  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Nelpir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Scott, Broadley, Enzie b1874
« on: Thursday 19 April 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Trying to find info on JAMES SCOTT (brother of my Grandfather) b22/5/1874 Broadley, Enzie.  His father James Scott and mother Jane Bowie.   Found him on the 81, 91, 01 census as single.  He was killed in action in WW1 18/4/1918.  He was married by then.  His wife resided in Glasgow.  Any info on when he married and his wife's name and whether they had any children.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Scott, Broadley, Enzie b1874
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Nelpir

You have an exact date of death for James Scott as 18 April 1918, what is the source for this? I checked here www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1 and whilst there were two entries for this date date for a James Scott, one had no identifying info and the other, his wife Margaret looks to have been living in Berwick upon Tweed and therefore, not who you are looking for.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nelpir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
The source of the date for James Scott's death 18/4/1918, was found in the CWGC.  James Scott was a private in the Seaforth Highlanders.  I found this notice, along with a photo in the local paper "Banffshire Advertiser" on the 9 May 1918 p4/c3&4.  Quote "Pte. James Scott, Seaforths, a native of Buckie, is reported missing.  He joined up at the outbreak of war, and has been twice wounded.  Pte, Scott, who is 43 years of age, was previously an asylum warder, and his wife resides in Glasgow" end of quote.  Dates seem to correspond.
His siblings were Jessie Ann 18.12.1862,   John 07.05.1865,   Margaret (Maggie) Jane 01.04.1868,   Isabella 02.08.1871, Alexander 19.01.1877,   Mary (Ann) 22.11.1879,   Henry George 26.11.1886 (my Grandfather).  Have found info on all the above siblings, but got stuck on James.
Hope this info helps.
Norma

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
I see that there is a family tree on Ancestry showing that James died in the Great War. The attached document, however, is for another James Scott who was born in Forfar!
Have you looked in the 1911 census for James? It would help pinpoint the date of marriage etc.
Regards,
flst

Oops, just noticed your name Norma, is it your tree? :-[
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 12 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Are we looking at J. Scott service no. S/24111 death 18/04/1918 ?

If so when looking for a medal card I found a JOHN A H Scott Seaforth Highlanders S/24111

Do we have the correct man ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 12 11:57 BST (UK) »
Checked all J. Scott deaths 1917/1918 Seaforth Highlanders
Going by ages and names/service numbers on medal cards I cannot easily see anything that matches up with that newspaper report
Was he a P.O.W. ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Another mention here, in case this helps:

Pte James Scott, Seaforths, (brother of Mrs Packman) was reported
missing. He was 43 and was formerly an asylum warder in Glasgow, where his
wife stayed.

www.buckieheritage.org/pdf/may1918.pdf

If, what from Ev has found, the J Scott who died on 18/04/1918 is not correct as he looks to likely have been a John, maybe you need to widen the date of searches for James' death. The newspaper reports show on 9 May 1918, so anything up to that date might be relevant. I can't see mention of a confirmed death date from the newspaper mentions which simply note him as missing in action at that point.

Monica

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Scott marriage John Packman 1903 Enzie Banff may well be the link

ev

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
Regarding memorial mentions, I did check on the Evening Times Roll of Honour earlier, here:

www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/family-history/resources/evening-times-roll-honour/Pages/home.aspx

The dedidated databases for deaths by year ranges show on the bottom r/h corner.

If he was living at in the Glasgow area at the time he attested and his family remained there, I thought there might have been a mention - but couldn't easily see one in the database for 1918-19  :-\

Monica

Added: Yep, Ev, that certainly would confirm the links don't you think.