Author Topic: overseas BMD? any hints?  (Read 2517 times)

drakes

overseas BMD? any hints?
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 21:53 BST (UK) »
Has anyone used 1837online for the overseas BMDs? And, is there another place where that information would be available other than 1837 - I am trying to find some relatives that were abroad ard 1900 - India or Asia.

Thanks,
  drakes

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: overseas BMD? any hints?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
I found my mother-in-law's parents marriage in India in 1891 in 1837 online, also the birth of her half sister and death of her father's first wife.  We hadn't known of their existence until then.

When we mentioned this to her she did know about it, although  she hadn't until she was an adult.  The sister was a lot older than her as she was the youngest of the 10 siblings (and is now 90 herself)

On 1837online there are regimental bmds and also consular ones.  The pages of the indexes cover a longer time span than the usual quarters as there are fewer entries each year.  I thought they were well worth a look.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

drakes

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
Ellen,
  Thanks so much! I am going to give it a try - hopefully, I will be as luck as you were....

regards,
 drakes

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 05 06:56 BST (UK) »
Good luck, Drakes!

But it's not actually necessarily complete.  I know that my great-grandparents were married in Hong Kong in 1880.  But there is no sign of their marriage on 1837online.

Just one of those frustrations....! 

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

drakes

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
MarieC,
  Thanks - I found nothing, and am very puzzled, but again 'incomplete' records is a good explanation...

thanks,
 drakes

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 05 14:05 BST (UK) »
drakes, try the Immigration Resources Board and look at "Links: Ancestors in British India".
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,30580.0.html
There is a web-site http://www.fibis.org/ with a database which is worth a look.

Check other topics in Immigrants with India in the title as there are also some tips and links there.
And I think there was an "India" topic in the common room too.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

drakes

« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 05 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks - these are amazing resources, ;D ;D and even if I find 'nothing'  they are incredible tributes to 'those who went before'...

regards,
 drakes