Author Topic: Thomas SAGE of Freston  (Read 2838 times)

Offline hedgerow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas SAGE of Freston
« on: Friday 20 April 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the father of Thomas SAGE, born Freston, Suffolk, England in 1796 (information from 1851 census).

I am thinking it is Thomas Sage born in Freston in 1775 but a 'Thomas' is not listed as one of his sons and other information does not seem to tie in (he appears to have been born in Ipswich in 1841 and Freston in 1851), although all the men involved seem to have occupations to do with horses such as horsebreaker, groom and ostler. If not father and son they must be related I feel.

Thomas Sage  born 1796 is my 3rd great grandfather and I would like to verify whether or not the Thomas born in 1775 is his father.

Can anyone out there help please?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SAGE of Freston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
1841 Census does not show POB only where they were living and whether born in that County or not.

1851 he is born c 1791 Freston.

A look up of the 1824 (26 Dec 1824, Saint Matthew, Ipswich) Marriage to Unice LING may provide Witnesses names which may help.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hedgerow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish

I think my  next search will be for his marriage details as you suggest. Thanks for the tip.

Jenny

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, looking at the suffolk burial index for Sages in freston - there are a lot.
parents at the time seem to be:
Thomas Sage & Mary (Rosier)
Thomas & Dorothy  (may be same Thomas??)
Joseph & Esther
Ralph & Ann (Coker)

so other possibilities.
Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline hedgerow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diddy,

I will have a good look at these. Many of the Sage family seem to be long-lived - 98 and 96 - so that's hopeful!
Rosier is a name that has popped up before so that's a good pointer.

Best wishes

Jenny

Offline zsalya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 November 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
What progress did you make?
I have got as far back as Edward Sage, Freston born 1826.
I am the only son of the only son of his eldest son.

Have you come across said Edward Sage, perhaps as son or nephew of Thomas Sage born 1796?

Many thanks,
Richard

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 November 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Richard.
hedgerow hasnt been on here since 2012 and hopefully if they still have the same email address will be  notified of your reply.

Do you have his 1849 Marriage Cert?
What is his Fathers name/occp?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 November 19 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Edward Sage married Harriet Mowtell Sept.1849 Samford (births of children and her own baptism show her surname was Moutell).   No online records have details of the marriage so would need to purchase marriage certificate to confirm Edward's fathers name.

A large number of trees on Ancestry show Edward as the son of Joseph Sage and Prudence Persons married 3/6/1811 Falkenham, Suffolk (where Prudence was born).

If this is so, I figure Joseph and Prudence must have been non-conformist as there are no baptisms available online for any of their children.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zsalya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 November 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
@Trish: Good point - I was interrupted in my research a few years ago (before the indices were all online!) and looking now, I see that that was the next certificate I was going to get - I have ordered it online - so much easier than going to Islington.

@Annette - Thank you very much indeed for that. Given the family history of nonconformism, the surprise is that Harriet did have an Anglican baptism. Her parents may have therefore disapproved of her marriage to a dissenter.