Author Topic: Samuel Rudge Birmingham, Warwick  (Read 2803 times)

Offline DD70Dave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Rudge Birmingham, Warwick
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette - I'd not found Samuel's death before, but only recently made the connection to Buckingham, so that would make sense - will send off for it!

I'd seen the 1861 census, but rejected it because of a) the sudden ignorance of his birthplace and b) the difference in age of his son Thomas (who should be 10 years older), but it probably is him.

Thanks for your willing help!

Offline wrudge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
What a nice surprise to see an email about a post update. It’s been a while since I did any ancestry work but I can’t wait to take a look at all this new information. Samuel Rudge (who married Mary) is my 4x great grandfather. Thank you both for your efforts.

Offline DD70Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 January 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, how I think the two Samuels are connected.

It’s connected to this site that you may have come across

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rudged/gen/srudge.html

It refers to William Rudge (born c.1757), who “appears to be the William Rudge who married Catherine PAINE on 15 Jun 1783 at St. Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England” and identifies three children from their burials at Smethwick.

More children can be identified from baptisms at the same church, including Samuel, who was born in 1789. This Samuel is the one who married one Ann Lightburn in Harborne in 1815.

My theory is that the Edward Rudge who married Mary Ellis and settled in Sutton Coldfield is the same Edward Rudge that was born in 1754 to William Rudge and Isobel Cooper. That would make him the brother of the 1757 William Rudge, and thus make our two Samuels first cousins. Proving it is another matter!