Author Topic: 1841 Census - Biggleswade  (Read 1091 times)

Offline phh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Biggleswade
« on: Thursday 19 May 05 01:33 BST (UK) »
John Skilliter COOPER was born in Biggleswade in Jan 1841 - Parents Thomas & Elizabeth nee SKILLITER.  Can anyone find them on the 1841 census?

Thanks

PHH
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Biggleswade
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry Pat, missed this post first time round.

I couldn't see them in Biggleswade in 1841, but when I checked the IGI I realised why - he was baptised in the Wesleyan church Biggleswade Circuit, which would have included all parishes in that particular circuit, not just Biggleswade.

Thomas and Elizabeth were married in Sandy, but they weren't there either. Finally found them in Northill in 1861 with John being shown as born in Hatch, a hamlet of Northill, and sure enough that's where they were in 1841.

HO107/009-13 folio 2
Hatch hamlet, Northill parish
Thomas Cooper 45 ag lab
Elizabeth Cooper 35
George 20; Joseph 20; William 18; Ann 16; Charles 8; Eliza 3; John 3 months. All born in Beds

Regards
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline phh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Biggleswade
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 05 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much David,

You have confirmed something which I was begining to suspect.

On the IGI are two entries for christenings for sons of a Thomas & Elizabeth COOPER - both at the Biggleswade Wesleyan Circuit.

George Pildith COOPER born 14th Jan 1841, bpt 11 May 1841
John Skilliter COOPER born 27th Nov 1841, bpt 30 Dec 1841
I had assumed them to be brothers born just 10 months apart but I now realise that I am dealing with two separate families.

You gave the IGI marriage of Thomas COOPER to Elizabeth SKILLITER in Sandy in 1837.
Since posting the original query I have discovered that a Thomas COOPER had married an Elizabeth PILDITCH in 1837 in Plymouth.
This latter family returned to Devon afterward the birth of their son and I have yet to discover how they came to be in the Bigglewade area in 1841.  George Pilditch COOPER gives his place of birth as Biggleswade on all censuses - the only one of that family to be born outside Devon.

I'm very grateful for the information about the other family - it certainly clarifies the situation.  It just goes to show that I mustn't jump to conclusions!!

Best wishes and thanks

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,