Author Topic: Adam Laidlaw  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Laidlaw
« on: Saturday 21 April 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what happened to my great great great grandfather Adam Laidlaw.  He married Barbara Elliot in Castleton, Roxburghshire on the 17 December 1843.  From what I could find in the 1851 census, they had three children, Janet born circa 1844, William (my great great grandfather) born circa 1847 and Isabella born circa 1850.  However, Barbara was widowed at this time.  They were living in Hawick in 1851.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BordersLass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Laidlaw
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
Best of luck

You have a death in the most awkward period of time in Hawick, because in the late 1840's and early 1850's cholera was rife and a high proportion are buried in the Cholera pit in the Wellogate cemetery,you may hit luck if you try the Hub at Hawick or the local authority's burial services/liar book, if the family could afford a proper grave, or the family managed to get the name recorded - for instance my great great grandfather is in the pit, but his name and date of death was recorded.

So its worth a try, but I got my info from the Liar Book, when it was kept at the cemetery lodge - I think its at the Town Hall know, as the Burial Service department gather all the books up a few years ago.

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 12 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you terianne.  I live in the south of England so I won't be able to get up to Hawick for some time yet.  After Adam's death, from what I saw, my great great great grandmother was quite poor so it's a strong possibility that may have been what happened to him.

BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
If Adam died in Hawick he may also have been buried in St Mary's Churchyard in Hawick, the Hub has details of some burials there pre 1855, also do you know where his children were born? was it Hawick/Wilton.

I see Barbara is still living in 1881 in Hawick, did her son William marry a Mary and move to Melrose,this William was a baker and had a son Adam and dau Barbara,or was it the William with wife Helen living at 6 Slitrig Bank,Hawick, just curious??
Amanda.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again  :)

From what I was able to find out, my great great grandfather William was born in Hawick circa 1847.  He had two sisters, Isabella born circa 1850 in Hawick and Janet born around 1844 in Castleton.  Castleton was where Barbara originally came from and that's where she and Adam married in 1843.  William did marry a Mary Alexander and he was a baker journeyman.  William and Mary had six children, Adam, Barbara, Charlotte, Alexander, William and Janet.  Sadly, Barbara and Charlotte died, ages 7 and 4,  of diphtheria within a month of each other and their son Adam died of uremia when he was eighteen; I suspect that he also had diphtheria and survived but his kidneys were damaged.
William and Mary's family ended up settling in Ladhope/Galashiels, however, from what I saw, Barbara Elliot Laidlaw remained in Hawick.

BordersLass  :)