Author Topic: Agnews in Larne area  (Read 16300 times)

Offline Gossamer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnews in Larne area
« on: Saturday 21 April 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
We have been seeking our Agnew family links for many, many years to no avail.   I have joined the Agnew DNA surname project, publish an international Agnew newsletter , and maintain the Agnewseverywhere.com site in an effort to find relations.  Are there any Agnews in the Larne area interested in sharing information and/or interested in submitting DNA?   I would love to hear from you.

My John Agnew was born in 1818 or 1819 in Co. Antrim, was apprenticed to a tailor, and ended up in Northern N.Y. surrounded by countless Ulster Scots.  I suspect John and his sister Eliza Jane (married James Gettys) are from Larne due to suspected connections with another Agnew line.  I'd love to hear from other Agnews.  I also suspect we may descend from the O Gnieve/O Gnimhs.   I am interested in any and all Agnews in the Larne area. 

Please drop me a line.
Barb

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Agnews in Larne area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
I am not an Agnew but do have a connection with an Agnew family from Larne through my Moffett side.

James Agnew married Sarah Jane Moffett 5 March 1900. James was a tailor, the son of Patrick Agnew a farmer & wife Jane. Patrick & Jane lived at Kilwaughter close to Larne, they can be found on the 1901 census, Patrick is on in 1911 by which time Jane has deceased.

James & Sarah Jane moved to Belfast and can be found on the 1911 census with several children living in Burlington Street

I have not researched the Agnews any further back nor forward, but I understand that there are descendants of James Agnew in Belfast.

Perhaps this will link into your research.

tc 
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
IGI have a birth record for a John Agnew, born 17 OCT 1819   Donegore, , Antrim, Ireland ,parents names were Samuel Agnew and Betty Henry, if thats of any help
jim

Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
IGI have a birth record for a John Agnew, born 17 OCT 1819   Donegore, , Antrim, Ireland ,parents names were Samuel Agnew and Betty Henry, if thats of any help

Since it's a submitted record this would need to be treated with caution.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gossamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
To All Responses

Thank you for the responses I have had so far.  It is enlightening that people are trying to help.    I found the Agnew-Moffet hint of great interest due to so many surnames which turn up in Canada and I certainly have found collaterals in Canada.  I will continue to pursue it.

The Samuel Agnew-Elizabeth Henry line is one I have examined inside and out because I suspect we relate to it.  My John is constantly attached to it because his birth year and that of their son is so close.  Sam and Elizabeth's son never left the UK where he served in Englan in the military and then returned to Ireland.  He is buried in Donegore with many of his ancestors.     I suspect Samuel Agnew had a brother who would have been the father to my John.  I believe William of Ballysavage was Samuel's brother and I know SAmuel had a sister Jane who married James Rea and lived at Tobergill.  Many of the descendants are here in the States and some of the Reas lived almost next door to my John, but I have not been able to connect them.

Thanks for you input.   

Offline KeithAgnew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hello. It was your reference to Donegore that caught my attention.
My name is Keith Agnew, I live in Dunmurry outside Belfast in County Antrim, Northern Ireland.

My Great Grandfather John Young Agnew owned 3 Farms in Ballysavage before his death in 1937.

He had a brother called William and a sister called Elizabeth both in Ballysavage.

They had a father called Henry Agnew. 1834-1908 Ballysavage. I am looking for his siblings.

He had a father called John Agnew. 1786-1852 Ballysavage. I am looking for his siblings and parents.

These guys are all buried in the same plot. I have a photo and a transcription.

As it happens I am off this morning to the Public Records office to look through old church records.
Not sure if this fits in anywhere with you, but I would be surprised if it didnt.

Keith

Offline KeithAgnew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 May 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
jim

to fill in the gaps, I got this from the records office in Belfast. MIC1P/79 First Donegore Presbyterian

All children of Samuel Agnew and Betty Henry of Donegore
FIRST NAMES                                                   SURNAME                          DOB
William                        Agnew                      18/10/1813   
James                        Agnew            29/01/1816   
Samuel                        Agnew            18/03/1818   
John                                Agnew            17/10/1819   
Agnes                        Agnew            30/12/1821   
Thomas                        Agnew            18/10/1823   
George           Augustus Chichester      Agnew            08/07/1825   
Anna                        Agnew            30/03/1832   

Offline Gossamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 May 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,  I am delighted to hear from you.  I am traveling in Austria at the moment and away from my records which are at home in Illinois.  I am in contact with a great many Agnews attempting to link them.   The PRONI records you found are for the Sam Agnew/Eliz. Henry family.  Their John is often mistaken for my gt grandfather who was born from record calculations in the Spring of 1819.  Their John was in the military and never left the UK and is buried in Donegore. 

My John left home at an early age and was apprenticed to a tailor and arrived in upstate N.Y. in early 1840's.  I have examined many early records and believe he ties into the Donegore/Ballysavage area.   He was suppose to have emigrated from Belfast, but we have not found any manifests for him or his sister.

My John's first son was Samuel John and first daughter Margaret Helen.  Clues are next to nil.  I have combed the Donegore gravelyard and am in contact with other Agnews in Larne area whose relatives came to States, but nothing solid.

I have the SAm Agnew/Eliz Henry line all researched if you are interested.  Henry has popped up in some Agnew emails.  I would like to correspond further with you

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Gossamer,

I am not an Agnew but do have a connection through the brief marriage of Eliza Ann Elliott born c 1839 to David Agnew ( father, James Agnew) on 13 Nov. 1866 in Raloo, Antrim. Eliza's father, David, was a Kilwaughter farmer.

They had a child, David, b 14 Jul 1867, registered in Carrickfergus.
Unfortunately David Agnew snr died in the year of his child's birth at only 26 years of age.

Eliza Ann remarried in 1871.

This information may help with your Agnew jigsaw.

Regards,
KiwiRose
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.