Author Topic: Agnews in Larne area  (Read 16358 times)

Offline Gossamer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnews in Larne area
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 May 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
KiwiRose,

Thank you so much.  I will see if this fits into the puzzle.  Every little bit helps.

Best wishes,
Barb

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
I am descended from the Trainor/Traynor family of Larne - some Agnews married in our family.  Do you know of them?
Palmer Website: www.davyboynorth.f2s.com/SamPalmer/00]SamPalmerStory.asp
Palmers, Barrs and McGarrys from Antrim/Ballyrobin/Muckamore/Crumlin
McAleaveys from Forkhill Co Armagh and then Whitewell/Glengormley
Traynors/Trainor from Larne then Whitewell/Glengormley also Glasgow

Offline Gossamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
The only piece of information I have is the death of Mary E. Agnew Hamilton who died 1909 in Malden, Massachusetts who was the wife of  Archibald Hamilton.  She was born in New BRunswick to Michael & Elizabeth (Trainer) Agnew who were born in Ireland.  Mary and Archibald had Arthur, Margaret May and JOhn Walter who were all born in New Brunswick.

Offline agnewjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
I have a William Agnew b. ca. Dec 1806, probably in the Donegore area, possibly at Ballysavage Townland. He emigrated with four sons (John, James R., William Jr., and Henry L. Agnew) to LeRaysville, Bradford Co., PA in 1853. William's first wife, Jane ___, probably died in Ireland before they emigrated. He then married Judah ___, b. PA. Wm. is bu. East Herrick Cem., Bradford Co., PA. I also have a Samuel Agnew, b. ca. 1785 in Antrim, Ireland (Ballysavage?), d. 1854, bu. Stevensville Cemetery, Bradford Co., PA. Samuel's wife was Sarah/Sally ___. Sarah was living in 1860 with William Agnew, Jr. in LeRaysville, Bradford Co., PA. I do not know the relationship between William and Samuel, but they obviously knew each other. I suspect that Samuel was an uncle or cousin, rather than my William's father, as there was another William Agnew & his family living next door to Samuel in Pike Twp., Bradford Co., PA, who were probably related to him as well. I am descended from Henry Leslie Agnew (b. 1845 Ireland, my great grandfather), who is also bu. East Herrick Cem. Would love to correspond with anyone researching AGNEW in or around Donegore area, especially in the Ballysavage Townland area. I had my Y-chromosome sequenced and found that I share all 37 markers with Keith Agnew of Northern Ireland. He says his Agnew ancestors are from the Ballysavage Townland area.
Jim Agnew (James Dennis Agnew), age 59
Rocklin, Placer Co., California

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
The Agnews listed holding Tithe Applotments records in 1833 see
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/donegore-parish.php#.U7Pn5BaDoYU
sorted by townland
Ballysavage
Agnew, James  Ballysavage townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Agnew, John  Ballysavage townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Agnew, Willm.  Ballysavage townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Donegore
Agnew, Saml. Donegore townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Island Rea
Agnew, Henry Island Rea townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Tobergill
Agnew, Dr.  Tobergill Townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Agnew, Jas.  Tobergill Townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen
Agnew, Saml.  Tobergill Townland, Parish : Donegore/Grange of Nilteen County : Antrim

The website is only complete in alphabetical terms down to Killagan in the parishes completed so far.   Larne should appear soon. If not someone needs to visit PRONI Belfast
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Chiph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 May 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Very happy to find this thread. I've been looking for an Agnes (Nancy) Agnew that was the wife of a John Graham from Armagh. I have her son's marriage record from Midlothian, Scotland. He was Edward Patrick Graham born 1833, who moved from Ireland to Scotland, to Pennsylvania. The record says Agnes was deceased by 1861 when the wedding took place. The Agnes already mentioned would have been too young. A lot of public trees say she was from Antrim, but I have found any records that support. Thanks!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 May 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
Larne is available
Agnew, Townland: Anteville Year: 1834
Agnew, P., Esq.   Townland: Curran and Drumalis Year: 1834
Agnew, P., Esq.   Townland: Larne Gardens Year: 1834
Agnew, Patk., Esq.   Townland: Curran and Drumalis Year: 1834
Agnew, Saml.   Townland: Larne Parks Middle Division Year: 1834
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Chiph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 May 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, thanks!

Offline carolfblack

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 March 19 12:38 GMT (UK) »
hi Barb and all,
My DNA links me to the Irish Agnews, O'Gnihms line, I found out recently. Barb, we have spoken before. My family tree research goes back to a James Agnew in Cincinnati, Ohio. IN 1850 he is there, along with a new wife, Mary Ann Freeman, and new baby son, Alfred Freeman. James says he was born in Ohio in 1808. Mary was born in PA. There is an older Samuel Agnew (I think visiting) them in their household in 1850. HE doesn't ever show up again with them. Samuel also says he was born in PA. There is ALSO, my great-grandfather, James A. Agnew, a little boy of 8. Due to Mary Freeman's age, I believe the 8-yr-old James is the child of another mother. The little boy James is listed at the BOTTOM of that census page, with an asterik * linking him to *Samuel Agnew in this household further up the page. However, Samuel is the last one listed with the household so it could just be linking 8-yr-old James to this family above. We have never figured out why he is at the bottom of the page, or who is mother is. IN any case, I have never found anything earlier than this 1850 census on this family. (Is the 8-yr-old the older James' son? Is he Samuel's son? Did Samuel bring him to this family?) WE DO know he stays connected to this family, has a daughter later in life and brings her TO James and Mary to finish raising her. But by 1860 the 8-yr-old James is not in this household. We think, probably he is leaving to join the Union Army.

sincerely,
Carol Agnew Black, Agnew family tree on ancestry.