Author Topic: James Brownlee birth date and where  (Read 5433 times)

Offline joni kay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Brownlee birth date and where
« on: Saturday 21 April 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
I found your link to rootschat.com by searching brownlee and torfoot lanarkshire scotland.
However, the topic I was interested in was already closed.  :'( So happy I found your site. :)

I, too, have brownlees, even a brownlee that married another brownlee!  :o
I am looking for the actual birth date of James Brownlee that married Jane Leman and he was a patriot in the american revolution. Also, another James Brownlee that married Jean Rankin was also a patriot in the american revolution.

The daughters of the american revolution in usa has the birth date for the James married to Jane Leman as 1-4-1745 in Lanarkshire Scotland and the James married to Jean Rankin as 1745 Torfoot Scotland. As I understand it, Torfoot is a farm near Lanarkshire Scotland.  Could anyone verify Torfoot and Lanarkshire and Scotland? I could be way off base...

Could anyone help me? Thank you so much for your time.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Brownlee birth date and where
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
joni,  these Brownlie's were apparently the Lairds of Torfoot in the parish of Avondale or Strathaven (pronounced Stray-ven) Lanarkshire,   http://rpc12437.tripod.com/history.htm  The Old Parish Registers might be what you're after.

Skoosh.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Joni, welcome to Rootschat

More info is required to establish the birth of James Brownlie

Do you know his parents names?

When and where did he marry Jane?

Offline joni kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 12 02:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Skoosh and sancti, for your quick replies.  :D Thank you for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not know where to look for the old parish registers. Are these registers listed on this website?

Yes, these are the lairds of torfoot families.

james brownlee's (married to jane lemen) parents are:

archibald brownlee, born ca 1710 in lanarkshire scotland, died 1788 in canton township, washington county, pennsylvania, usa

and agnes margaret hamilton, born 15 aug 1713 in strathaven scotland, died 1785 in washington county pennsylvania usa.

archibald and agnes margaret were married 18 may 1732 in strathaven scotland.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Joni, these folk, being lairds, will appear on all sorts of records, the Register of Sasines (land transfers) Bonds & Deeds, and also Wills. Try a an online search of the National Archives, this is free, type Brownlie in the search box and see what comes up, Brownlie's not all that common a name,

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

For the OPR's, (Old Parochial Registers), 
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Will access is apparently free, Scotlandspeople charge for searches etc'.

Good Luck,
Skoosh.

P.S, just checked the NAS matches for Brownlie, 733 records.

Offline judycorc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I recently became a member of the DAR on the basis of my ancestor James Brownlee. I saw your post, and I can tell you that we found that there were two James Brownlees, cousins, born on the same day, 1-4-1745 in Torfoot Lanarkshire, Scotland. He married Jane Lehman. He originally settled in York County PA, then moved West to Washington County where he farmed and is buried in North Buffalo Cemetery. I hope I can help.

Offline MurMan7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am a descendant of Jean (Brownlee) Allison (1735-1818), a sister of James Brownlee.  I am a member of the SAR through Jean's husband, John Allison (he had patriotic service).

I have researched the Archibald Brownlee families in Avondale Parish, Lanarkshire County, Scotland.  There were at least 4 Archibald Brownlee families living at the same time around Strathaven.  None of these Archibald Brownlee men were recorded as having a son named James Brownlee, from the Avondale Parish birth records.  The recorder of these early records did not state the name of the mother for these children.

The birth date of January 4, 1745 for James Brownlee was from pages 47 and 1080 of: Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago) 1893.

What is happening with James Brownlee?

The only Archibald Brownlee family near Torfoot Farm and Strathaven, which matches the research done by U. S. Brownlee family descendants from the 1890's (which was included in the above Washington County history), is:   

Archibald Brownlee – Maltster/Maltman in Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland.

Children:

Archibald, b. 14 January 1742 (Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

Janet (twin), b. 7 July 1743 (Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

Margaret (twin), b. 7 July 1743 (Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

William, b. 15 September 1745 (Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

John (twin), b. 29 July 1750 (Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

Thomas (twin), b. 29 July 1750 (Strathaven, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

My ancestor Jean (Brownlee) Allison appears to have been this person:

Archibald Brownlee – Side, Lanarkshire County, Scotland

Child:

Jean, b. 23 July 1735 (Side, Lanarkshire County, Scotland)

Much of the early Archibald Brownlee family history from the 1890's, does not match or fit into the actual birth records of Avondale Parish, Lanarkshire County, Scotland.  Do you have any thoughts?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 02:22 BST (UK) »
Torfoot was gifted to Thomas Brownlee by Hamilton in 1680 for his participation and writing of the Battle of Drumclog (1679).

And don't get your hopes up of a large country home; its a small farm.  In 1771 James Brownlee of Torfoot was assessed on a value at £ 24

The good news is Torfoot still stands in the same place it always has which is on the B745 south of the A71 at Drumclog so you can see it on Google Maps.  Today it is called North Torfoot.  In the early 1800's there was another farmed acquired to the south and renamed South Torfoot but that didn't last.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.