Author Topic: Birth Date of *** COMPLETED*** Nella 'Wendy' Agnus WENDLANDT - Victoria  (Read 18285 times)

Offline GeorgeRP

• RootsChat Member
  • Proud Australian
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Date of Nella 'Wendy' Agnus WENDLANDT - Victoria
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 April 12 11:09 BST (UK) »

Thankyou all for your information.

I have been overdoing it [gardening], and fell and hurt my back.

I apologize for not responding earlier, and will digest all the information given, and will summarize all the details on hand, and report back.

Thanking-you all again.

George

Vincent - Tasmania - Victoria - Australia
Polson - Tasmania - Australia
Broad - Tasmania - Australia

Offline GeorgeRP

• RootsChat Member
  • Proud Australian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 April 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi every-one, I'm back again.

Most of the information posted thus far is correct, and of help.

When 'Nellie's husband  [Cyril Roy Vincent],  died in 1959, Nellie must have returned to Victoria to live.  Upon her death in 1991,  she was taken back to Tasmania to be buried with her husband at Carr Villa Cemetery in Launceston.

From family tree sources, they had three children, 1 female 2 male.

I cannot name them, as they may still be alive. If you would like that information, and think their names maybe of help,  please contact me on my P.M. Box.

The information given so far still does not give a birth date of Nellie, but at least It confirms  that  family, had links in Victoria, which gives me more scope to work with.

Cheers

George

P.S.   Nellie and Cyril married in Clifton Hill in Victoria, 5th March 1928

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 April 12 12:39 BST (UK) »
Your original post with its query asked for help to find the birth date of NELLA..... WENDLANDT.

Some obvious questions and some documented information  have emerged during the search.

From where, please, did you get the information that her mother's name was GILL.  (What is the documentary evidence please ?)

Is it from her death certificate in 1991? Please can you give details of informant if so.

Have you noted in the thread's information that HELEN states she has no children.

Franz was clearly adopted.

Therefore, it appears, so was Nella.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeorgeRP

• RootsChat Member
  • Proud Australian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 April 12 23:35 BST (UK) »

Hi Sparrett,

Thank-you for your mail.

The name Helen Gill came from Nella & Cyril's Marriage Certificate. No: 4327/1929.

It seems that Bernard was deceased at the time of Marriage, which may indicate she re-married.

Other than that, I have very little information, on Nella's family. [Plenty of Information on the Vincent side].

Regards

George

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
It seems that Bernard was deceased at the time of Marriage, which may indicate she re-married.

No,
A close reading of the information so far provided in your thread will show the Death of HELEN JANET WENDLANDT in 1946.  If her name was still WENDLANDT she did not re-marry.

Reply #6 if you click on and read the link tells that Bernard WENDLANDT's mother says he is alive in Germany in 1927.

It is quite possible he died between 1927 and the 1929 marriage of NELLA, but it may have beeen more convenient to state "deceased" in any case.

An advertisement in Argus 1915 placed by MADAME WENDLANDT (Helen) indicates that he left without making provision for her and she needed to make her own livliehood

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1496723?searchTerm="wendlandt" +divorce&searchLimits=

Are you able to answer my question regarding the informant on the 1991 Death Certificate?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sydney researcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
I have been astonished to find this thread, as I have a personal interest in the Wendlandt name. I am from Sydney

My grandmothers' sister, Gertrud Winkelmann, was a well known opera singer in Melbourne in the first decade of the 20th century. She was a student of Herr Bernard Wendlandt. There are many articles (found in Trove) about her concerts in Melbourne, under his musical direction.

What i know is that Gertrud travelled, alone,  to Leipzig, Germany, in 1912, to further her studies. Bernhard Wendlandt travelled to Germany about a year later, in 1913, to join her.  Reports were that she was well received in Leipzig. They were definately having a relationship. Family story is that they got married in 1914, in Germany, however I have no confirmation of this.

I was unaware that Bernard Wendlandt had apparently left behind a wife and family. Gertrud died in Berlin in 1919 from the world flu pandemic. Thery had a daughter, Helga Wentlandt, who was born in Germany during the war. She visisted Australia many years later with her daughter, but all contact was later lost, no idea what happenned to her or her daughter.

There is some fascinating info in this thread which i will study, however there seems to be some discrepancies with some of the info posted in this thread. If Bernard was age 40 in 1913 , then he would have been born about 1873. So difficult to believe he got married in 1886, he would have been only age 13. I am going to do some further digging to check/verify some of the info in the thread above.

Ther photo attached is of their daughter Helga Wentlandt, born in Germany during WW1. And also Gertrud Winkelmann
Winkelmann 1879- 1936 (Victoria & Melbourne, Aust))
Thomas 1870-   (Aberdovey, Wales & Blackstone Qld)
Clark  1853 + Fulstow, Lincolnshire (1770+) & Toowoomba, Qld (1853+)
Bernhard Wendlandt (1861-1929) Merlbourne, and Berlin, and any descendents

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Gertrud Winkelmann , 1913, Germany

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat :)

I would suggest their is an error with Bernard's age on the outgoing passenger record.  I understand that the writing on many of the manifests were almost illegible and some in poor condition.

Search for his arrival in 1856 as an unassisted immigrant at Melbourne.
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23

From another resource
Mr B WENDLANDT  30 years  Arrived 30 May 1856 on the GARONNE Departed London  Nationality Foreigner

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 03:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Cando

Thank you so much for that information. Yes I am new here, it overwhelms me how so many researchers are willing to help out, I hope I can return the favour.

My main interest is more about Bernhard Wendlandt. I know the original query on this thread was finding the birth of Nella Agnes Wendlandt.

It saddens me he appeared to have abandoned his first family. None of my family knew this.

Ive checked that immigration index link you highlighted, the date is June 1886 that Bernhard Wendlandt arrived in Melbourne per Garonne, age 30, not 1856. This date also matches other records of the Garonne that sailed from London, via Sydney, to Melbourne. So in summary, what we know about Bernhard Wendlandt is:

(1) born about 1856, place yet unknown
(2) arrived Melbourne June 1886 age 30, per Garonne, from London.
(3) Had studied at Liepzig University (Germany) and graduated as Doctor of Music
(4) Married 22 Dec 1886, Helen Doswell, at the German Church, Eastern Hill. (per TRove silver wedding notice 22 Dec 1911)
(5) was living with his wife Helen (and family) as late as 1909, in "Menzies Creek".
(6) Left Melbourne in late 1913, for Germany, to meet up with my great-aunt, the opera singer Gertrud Winkelmann, who had travelled to Liepzig, Germany, from melbourne, in late 1912.
(7) Married Gertrud Winkelmann in 1914, in Berlin, produced a daughter Helga Wendlandt during the war 
(8) in 1927, was working and teaching in Germany as a Professor of Music

To Sparrett: you mentioned above "An advertisement in Argus 1915 placed by MADAME WENDLANDT (Helen) indicates that he left without making provision for her and she needed to make her own livliehood".

I have checked very carefully that link, done my own Trove search, and cant find that reference. I can only find an advertismenet for her convalescent home. Any chance you can re-post that link or reference? 

Thankyou !!