Author Topic: Ann Young - convict  (Read 28588 times)

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Young - convict
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
If you send me your email I will scan the documents and send them through. The Ann Young who died in Parramatta in 1862 is not our Ann. I looked at the church record and that Ann Young was a convict who arrived on the Glatton. I suspect Ann and James died in the Bathurst area and their deaths weren't registered. They may be buried on a farming property.
Cai

Offline tamworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 07:24 GMT (UK) »
1806 employed by Thomas Whittle, Parramatta
1822 census - wife of James Palmer Windsor= possibly bought 15 acres Windsor.
1828 Hutkeeper for Mr Palmer, James a shepherd
Not sure of death, but there is a death for an Ann Parker at Parramatta in 1862.

Not sure where James Palmer comes in are you talking about the same Ann & Eupheima Young?
Attached is copy  Transcribed from the Aberdeen Journal 1804   
Regards 'tamworth'                                 

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for my big mistake yesterday which I have since fixed. Should have had Ann's husband as James Parker not Palmer. I can't find the attachment from 'tamworth' though.

Offline Brucetee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 January 13 09:04 GMT (UK) »
this is the transcription of a new paper report from Aberdeen Journal 22 Feb 1804.
I am descended from Ann Young. I have done a lot of research on her and her sister Euphemia and plan to put it up here as a post. I would love to contact others researching Ann and Euphemia.

“An Act for the more effectual Transportation of Felons and other offenders in that part of Great Britain called Scotland grants warrant for detaining the said Margaret Gray Peter Cavanagh Anne Young and Euphemia Young in the Tolbooth of Aberdeen till delivered over for transportation in Terms of this Sentence”

Anne, who is my 4 X great grandmother, and her younger sister Euphemia, arrived in Sydney on the William Pitt on 11 April 1805, with a 5 year sentence.  This is their story, beginning on the Streets on Banff resulting in their incarceration in the Aberdeen Tollbooth, and leading to the foundation of a new family on the other side of the world in Windsor, New South Wales.
The Scottish Newspapers reported the apprehension of members of a gang or thieves that wandered the Highway between Banff and Aberdeen.
Anne Young, says she is a native of Enzie in Banff-Shire; she is a good looking woman seemingly about 25 years of age, fair complexion, brown hair, thin and about middle sized, she is at present very big with child, and wears a grey duffle cloak.
Euphemia Young. Who says her mother Rebecca Young lives in Montrose; she is seemingly about 18 years of age, very forward in her manners, good looking, small stature, light brown hair, fair complexion, wears ear rings, sometimes a mutch, at other times ribbons on her hair, and a small black cap or bonnet.
 Pat Cavanagh, who says he is a native of Armagh in Ireland; he is about 40 years of age; has ugly features, and is blind in his left eye; he seems to be well known from his attending fairs, carrying on the trick of pricking the garter.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 January 13 13:14 GMT (UK) »
carrying on the trick of pricking the garter

Fast and Loose was also called Pricking the Garter

http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/fl_notes.htm

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 January 13 13:39 GMT (UK) »
ev,that's very interesting! Thanks for that explanation.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline LAnderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Is the relationship of Anne and Euphemia confirmed as sisters (given the notice in the Aberdeen Journal of 22nd February 1804? Euphemia led an "interesting" life in NSW and I am attempting to find her possible relationship to another convict from Aberdeen (although convicted in London) named John Ritchie born c1775 died 1860 . It appears that John Ritchie raised at least one of Euphemia's children as his own - she used the surname Ritchie- and that child was the main beneficiary of his will. Ritchie may also have had a sister with the surname of Brown whose son was transported to Tasmania. 
Any help or thoughts on the above would be much appreciated. The death record for Euphemia Young is a burial record only -no names of parents recorded -and for John Ritchie in 1860 the knowledge of wife number 4 (or 5) did not even extend to naming his children or other wives.       

Offline LAnderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I have transcribed the article about the vagrants from the Aberdeen Journal of 22 February 1822. This is on another computer. Not sure if I can attach. I live in NSW and have a readers ticket for the State Library here which permits access to a large number of the British Newspapers online and data search in the same manner as Trove from the National Library. I should be able to download and print a copy to send if you don't have access. 
The article does not state that Anne and Euphemia are sisters. Where was Pat or Peter Cavanagh sent for his seven years transportation? 
Do you have copies of the court documents from Scotland about the case? Not sure of the cost but I know of another person who obtained the trial documents for their convict ancestor and the background information was GREAT.
Early convict indents for NSW did not usually contain personal details or description as they did later on so there would be no record of a previous marriage for Anne so as long as she was prepared to say that she was single or widowed. I know of one case where someone with a Ticket of Leave wanted to marry and his old convict indent was trotted out and permission was denied in 1847- 20 years after he arrived. His wife actually came to NSW and died here about ten years before that request was made. There was no seven year forget the previous spouse clause.             

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but I do have the 22 Feb article. I also have another,2 May and a letter re the trial dated 25 April 1804. I don't have the actual trial, but it would be great to have, but as you said sounds expensive.
Peter Cavanagh died in the prison hulk Retribution, moored at Woolrich 20 April 1810 or 1811. You can see those registers on Ancestry
 I have looked at various trees etc on Ancestry and see what you are saying about Ellen Morgan mar Price. I have no idea about it really.