Author Topic: Mary Hamilton 1765  (Read 9630 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Hamilton 1765
« on: Monday 23 April 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
The birth record for Mary Hamilton, baptised on July 9th 1765, says her parents were in Buaildhonachie (I think that's the spelling anyway), Kilmory, Buteshire.  I can't find it on the old maps.  Could someone point me in the right direction?
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline Reeni1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Hamilton 1765
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 12 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi haven't found 'buaildhonachie' however if you look on national library for scotland online maps - Kilmory, Isle of Arran - there are quite a few place names which may give you clues.  Meal Buidhe, the highest hill above Kilmory, Bennecarrigan Farm, Shannochie, Burican.  It may be your place is one of the small sheiling on the hill.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  Buidhe looks as if it could have a connection.  I'll keep searching!
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Ummm. Bualdhonachie and Ballymeanoch.

'Buaile' is a (sheep)fold or pen.'Donnchadh' is a Gaelic version of Duncan. I think the 'dh' is the genitive of 'Donnchadh', which would make the name 'Buaildhonachie' something like 'Duncan's sheepfold'.

Bally is often from 'baile' meaning a farm or settlement, and 'meanoch' can come from 'meadhonach' meaning 'middle'. So Ballymeanoch could mean 'middle farm' - it's actually a moderately common farm name.

You can get quite a lot of sound shifting in Gaelic, but I don't think you get 'd' and its fellows ('t', 'th') swapping with 'm' and its fellows ('v', 'f'). So I'd be very wary of assuming that 'dhonachie' amd 'meanoch' could be interchangable.

I could, of course, easily be completely wrong ;)

'Buidhe' means yellow, but I don't think it is involved here - the letter L in the middle of the names excludes it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I think I'm a bit further forward.  A place called Ballygowmachy, situated close to and east of Aucheleffan, appears on the John Ainslie map on the NLS website  In The Book Arran Auchareoch and Balagonachy are both tenanted by John Hamilton.  I can't find all 3 places on the same map, but Auchareoch is also close to and east of Aucheleffan.  I think that's it.  Perhaps "dh" could give the sound "g"?  Perhaps Auchreoch took over its neighbour and Buaildhonachie's name was lost.
If anyone has come across a place-name in Kilmory parish like Ballygonachy, I'd be happy to hear what or who you have there.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Perhaps "dh" could give the sound "g"? 

It can give a sound that an anglophone would probably pronounce as 'g' - a voiced glottal fricative (getting very technical!) like the initial 'g' in Dutch.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline joelpomfret9002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 14:25 BST (UK) »

I grew up at Aucheleffan and am also curious as to the location of Ballygonochie...I've come across a few mentions of Aucheleffan, Auchereoch and Ballygonnochie at the same time so they existed together...also Auchereoch appears on the very early maps..before Ballygonochie. Have you had any more luck with your research?
https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=RHP6626&

Offline joelpomfret9002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
I think I have located Ballygonnachie...if you would like to get in touch....