Author Topic: Any thoughts?  (Read 14196 times)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any thoughts?
« on: Tuesday 24 April 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Please stick with me on this one.

On the 1901 census there is an Ellen Loughlin boarding with my great grandmother Catherine Loughlin at House 145 Sion Mills. On the 1911 census Ellen with her child Francess Olive Loughlin appears to have gone to live with her sister in law Catherine Loughlin at 27 Main Street, Sion Mills. Who was Francess Olives father?

At 27 Main Street there is also a William Loughlin who I know was in Coatbridge, Scotland in 1912 (Ulster Covenant). My great Aunt Margaretta married a William Loughlin who I am led to believe was a cousin. I know Margaretta, her spouse, my grandmother and more of their siblings end up in Coatbridge so I am presuming this is the William Loughlin Margaretta Loughlin married. 

In 1901 Catherine (not my ggrandmother, the other Catherine Loughlin), William plus other children including an eldest son Robert are at House 5 Scotstown, Urney. I mention Robert as my great grandfather was Robert Loughlin as was my great great grandfather.

The thing is I believe my great grandfather only had one brother Samuel who I think married Ellen Aitchison (my great grandmother was Catherine Aitchison, I had put Ellen and Catherine down as cousins, different father on IGI).

So could William and Margaretta be second cousins not cousins?  This is just guesswork, dangerous I know. Coincidentally (or perhaps not) at House 142 Sion Mills there is a Jane and Susan Aitchison boarding with a John and Rebecca Loughlin (my grandmother was Rebecca Loughlin), do not know where they fit into the picture. 

I don’t really have a point to this post just thought putting it down in writing may make it clearer in my head and perhaps someone might have some observations.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
I've spaced your post into paragraphs to make it easier to read. Starting with the first bit-
On the 1901 census there is an Ellen Loughlin boarding with my great grandmother Catherine Loughlin at House 145 Sion Mills. On the 1911 census Ellen with her child Francess Olive Loughlin appears to have gone to live with her sister in law Catherine Loughlin at 27 Main Street, Sion Mills. Who was Francess Olives father?

1911 census: www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Attaclady/Main_Street/847601
Remember that all relationships are given in regard to head of household. According to the census Ellen Loughlin was Catherine's sister-in-law and Francess was Catherine's niece. It does not say that Ellen was the mother of Francess but if she was her mother then Francess would seem to be illegitimate since Ellen wasn't married.

The only way to find out would probably be to get Francess' birth certificate (if illegitimate then you are unlike to get father's name).
Here are the details needed to order the certificate-
Frances Olive Laughlin Apr./June 1901 Strabane registration district volume 2 page 293

1901 census: www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Altaclady/Town_of_Seein_or_Sion_Mills/1751153
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
At 27 Main Street there is also a William Loughlin who I know was in Coatbridge, Scotland in 1912 (Ulster Covenant). My great Aunt Margaretta married a William Loughlin who I am led to believe was a cousin. I know Margaretta, her spouse, my grandmother and more of their siblings end up in Coatbridge so I am presuming this is the William Loughlin Margaretta Loughlin married. 

How do you know that the William in 1911 census is the same as the Coatbridge one in 1912? Have you checked the 1911 Scottish census just to make sure?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Catherine (not my ggrandmother, the other Catherine Loughlin), William plus other children including an eldest son Robert are at House 5 Scotstown, Urney. I mention Robert as my great grandfather was Robert Loughlin as was my great great grandfather.

1901 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Urney__East/Scotstown/1754979
1911 census- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Attaclady/Main_Street/847601

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. It was a bit of a ramble.

The William who signed the Ulster Covenant in Coatbridge in 1912 gave his address as 27 Main Street, Sion Mills. I though it safe to presume that this was the William who was living at 27 Main Street on the 1911 census.

On the 1911 census Francess Olive, as you point out, is down as Catherine’s niece and Ellen Catherine’s sister in law. Again just a presumption but I do think it points to Ellen being Francess’s mother. It does say Ellen is single would it definately have said widowed if her husband had died?

Not writing any of this in stone just trying to get a picture of relationships and the interconnection between the many Loughlins and Aitchison in this part of the word. Don't worry I am not uploading any of it to a tree more of a puzzle I am trying to put together. Hope I haven't wasted your time.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just an observation about Frances Olive Loughlin...

For some reason 'back then' the word niece was also used for a granddaughter.

It's possible that Frances Olive was the granddaughter of Catherine ie the daughter of one of Catherine's sons and was just in the house that evening.

Tara

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
Had not heard of neice being used for grandaughter before, that's interesting.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 May 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
That's why you need to get the birth certificate for Frances that was mentioned earlier.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 May 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I wouldn't say it was widespread but I have come across it quite a bit.

I was wondering could she have been the daughter of Robert who ended up going to Scotland ?

I suppose you will only know for sure by ordering the birth cert that 'aghadowey' gave you the details for !

Good Luck

Tara