Author Topic: Philip Henry AYDON  (Read 13465 times)

Offline dksearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Henry AYDON
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 August 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I too have been trying to pin down just when Philip came over to Australia - I am pretty sure it was during a gold rush in South Australia but that is all I know.
I would love to know when his wife Agnes moved to Nelson.
Also re Katie Aydon - I don't think Philip and Agnes had a daughter.
My mother can't ever recall hearing about her.
Fred was a theatre manger and worked for Harry Rickard's (whose was I believe was from England) and I think the idea of making Katie a local girl may have been invented between them. I have found a illegitimate birth record in Australia listing the mother as Agnes Anne Rose Smith but have misplaced the details, will try and find them and post them for you. Could be the reason for Philip and Agnes's split.
Other stuff:
Mr & Mrs Archibald Aydon of Grove St Nelson NZ had triplets, all boys, born 21st May 1903, already had 7 sons.
Sadly only one of the boys survived. Mary also had stillborn triplets (all girls) but they were not recorded.
I have only found twin in the both the Woodward and Aydon family trees.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 August 12 02:26 BST (UK) »
Also re Katie Aydon - I don't think Philip and Agnes had a daughter.
My mother can't ever recall hearing about her.

The link to details of Katie RICKARDS' will is given in post #5 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article34251559

"The testatrix directed a sum of money to be set aside for investment, the income to be paid to her brothers Frederick Aydon and Archibald Aydon for life."

She also gave bequests to her AYDON nieces and nephews.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 August 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
The marriage in Lancashire in the December quarter 1880

LEETE, Benjamin Harry         Chorlton    8c   1025    
RICKARDS, Benjamin Harry L      Chorlton    8c   1025

ROSCOW, Kattie         Chorlton    8c   1025

Her obit says "She was born in Roscoe, New Zealand"

The 1881 census at Islington, London gives her age as 22 and her birthplace as Melbourne, Australia.

Daughter Noni's birth was registered in the December quarter 1880 in Plymouth, Devon.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 August 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
I too have been trying to pin down just when Philip came over to Australia - I am pretty sure it was during a gold rush in South Australia but that is all I know.
dksearch

Surely you mean the gold rush in Victoria.  He was married in 1853 at Eaglehawk [Bendigo] so was in the thick of the action ;)  If he arrived prior to 1852 you may not find a passenger record. i cannot find the AYDON/AYDEN name on any of my resources.   Many immigrants were listed as X number of males or females in steerage. 

I have found a illegitimate birth record in Australia listing the mother as Agnes Anne Rose Smith but have misplaced the details
dksearch

I cannot find an illegitmate birth in Australia c1859 for a female with mother's name you have mentioned. However the identical name is the mother of this BRADSHAW birth - the only one to the couple on the indexes.

BRADSHAW Rosa Emily
Father James Benjamin  Mother Agnes Rosa Annie SMITH
At North Melbourne  1859  Reg#857

However this child died aged 7 weeks in the same year.  Does however make me wonder if the mother was Philip Henry's wife.  The birth certificate would given details about the mother eg her age and place of birth and if there had been any previous births to the marriage.  I can find no other details for this Agnes on the Aus records.

I found a Philip M AYDON [corrected to H by a subscriber to ancesty.uk] on the 1861 census living at 74 Church Place, Grappenhall, Cheshire.  He was the only person at the address and listed as 34 years, head, gentleman born Wakefield, Yorkshire.  Next door at 72 was a Maria AYDON, 60 years, Visitor, Married, Landed proprietor born Warrington, Lancashire. Could this be your Philip Henry and his mother Maria?  If so, perhaps he and Agnes had separated by this time.

1841 census
Living at King Street, Warrington, Lancashire
AYDON Isaac  39 years  Not born county
AYDON Maria  41 years  School mistress  Born county
AYDON Mary  17 years  Not born county
AYDON Philip  15 years  Not born county
AYDON James  13 years  Not born county

Reply#10 - link to Agnes's death notice mentions the sons as Frederick and Archibald R scow.  I wonder if Katie was used a second given name as her surname :-\.  It would appear if her age was correct on the 1881 census, she was born c1859.

Details of will listed for probate
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0q3t/

I was hoping Kate’s age would be on her MI at Waverley so we could confirm her year of birth. 

Waverley Anglican, Section 7 Vaults, Row 1, Grave#854,855

RICKARDS…….?
9 Sep 1892
Son of Harry & Kate Rickards
8 yrs 11 mths
Mourn not for me mother, father & sisters

RICKARDS …….?
13 Oct 1911  65 years
Husb of Kate Rickards

Kate RICKARDS
17 Dec 1922
Who died aboard the R.M.S Ormonde on the voyage to
Australia.  Interred at sea.  Wife of Harry Rickards & mother of
Noni, Sydney & Madge

Perhaps the signatures on the 1853 marriage cert and hopefully, if Agnes registered the 1859 birth, could be compared. 

You need some certificates to validate this speculative research :)

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 August 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
This one says:

"Mrs. Rickards was born at Nelson, New Zealand, her maiden name being ROSCOE, and in her youth she was an expert acrobat and trapeze performer, and toured the world repeatedly before making her home with Mr. Rickards in Sydney in 1888."

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16032916?searchTerm=kate%20aydon&searchLimits=

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 August 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
Wonder why Archibald had what appeared to be a 2nd given name R*scow and yet he died as Archibald Alexander AYDON?  Aaagh these families that keep changing their names ::) ::)

1929/9990
AYDON Archibald Alexander 73 years

She was born 1830 England and Died 1875 New Zealand

Seems to have lost 5 years...should be 45 years of age if born c1830.

1875/4529   
AYDON   Agnes Rosa Annie    40 years

Do you have any certificates for this family?

This one says:

"Mrs. Rickards was born at Nelson, New Zealand, her maiden name being ROSCOE, and in her youth she was an expert acrobat and trapeze performer, and toured the world repeatedly before making her home with Mr. Rickards in Sydney in 1888."

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16032916?searchTerm=kate%20aydon&searchLimits=

Debra  :)

No mention that she married in the UK but odd that Katie thought she was born in Melbourne on the 1881 census.  I wonder who are noted as her parents on the 1880 marriage certificate?

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 August 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
Apologies Debra...I took your summary info without reading all the snippet.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 August 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, it would be interesting to see who she said her father was when she married.

Even if she was an adopted daughter I find it unusual that dksearch's family knew nothing of her when she was so well known and left considerable bequests to Frederick and Alexander.

I take the R..SCOW name in Agnes's death notice as being a surname for both Frederick and Archibald  ???