Author Topic: PLEASE! Select Specific Subject Headings, Relevant to the Topics.  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
PLEASE! Select Specific Subject Headings, Relevant to the Topics.
« on: Thursday 19 May 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hello to all "RootsChat" Members,

If possible, could all RootsChat Members be specific when selecting Subject Headings so that they relate to the topic that they are discussing or the persons being researched or the questions being asked etc...  Whatever the case may be!

I have come across many Subject Headings that are totally irrelevant and very misleading to the topics.  The possible reason for this is that anyone and everyone will click on the subject just to find out through curiosity what is being discussed, which we are all guilty of, but this is time wasting.

However, what is our main reason for utilizing this website?
Is it to gain information and help others where possible, or to gain the most number of visitors to your topic?   

When sifting through a myriad of Subject Headings it is much easier if the Subject is clearly defined.  If a topic is of interest to me, I will read the very interesting view-points that are posted. 

So let's all be a little more thoughtful and specific in our choice of Subject Headings, and please make them relevant to the Topics.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE! Select Specific Subject Headings, Relevant to the Topics.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
I couldn't agree more, there are a lot of posts that just say things like "please or  help" it would be so much easier if people put down specific thins like "1851 census, Smith" I know that we are suppose to already but sometimes people forget.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk